what brand of pelleted feed do you use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ani-lover

Reaction score
Hi, so i have a question........
I use and have been using Big Red Rabbits Choice feed however i was reading the bag and noticed that the first ingredient is processed grain by products.... i do not want to be feeding mocha by product junk food and this brand used to be a high quality food. should i be using kaytee timothy complete or oxbow bunny basics T at all where the first ingredient is Sun-cured Timothy Grass Hay or timothy hay meal? and what exactly is hay meal?

ETA: has anyone used the missing link small animal powder that goes on top of the food? its supposed to have extra nutrients

I fed my rabbits Purena Proffecional food for 4 years. It comes in a 50lb bag that cost under $20 at the feed store. When I moved to Brenham I could not find it so I switched to Mana Pro brand Pro formula. This sight has been very influential and I am going to try feeding Zupreem when I run out of the 25lbs bag of Mana Pro.

I feed Oxbow Basics the timothy formula along with that I also feed Orchard grass hay from Oxbow as well. :) I give a supplement daily in her water by 8 in 1.

I'm switching Timmy over from Kaytee Forti Diet to Oxbow Essentials adult. I did like the Kaytee, but I get a discount on the Oxbow.

im getting oxbow. just found out that big red is a purina mills product. very dissatisfied with purina and i always always run into a problem with anything from purina.

Imbrium wrote:
I feed sherwood forest, as it's very healthy and made fresh within days of being shipped to you - https://www.naturalrabbitfood.com/rabbit-food-labels/

oxbow essentials is also a very healthy food that's higher in fiber than most brands (ingredients differ somewhat from sherwood forest, but the GA for both foods is nearly identical)
this looks like an awesome food. after finding out that big red was yet another product of purina, i am very confused about what to do and what to feed.

i dont want to use anything not natural.

Sherwood Forest is the most natural pelleted rabbit food that I've found. Most rabbit food has added grains and molasses(sugars), even the oxbow has molasses. The sherwood forest adult feed doesn't have these things, so I would assume it's much healthier for rabbits, but it also seems that it can be hard to transition rabbits onto it because rabbits like the molasses and grains in the other feeds even if it isn't good for them.

yeah, it did take almost a month to get mine to dive right into sherwood pellets the way they had their previous pellet (which was given to me by the breeder I got them from). they like junk food, same as humans... but the healthy stuff eventually won them over :)

ldoerr wrote:
I would not feed that feed Misery. It has WAY to little protein. I think that 14% protein is on the low side but a 12% is CRAZY low.
Misery, that protein level is perfectly fine according to the House Rabbit Society. In fact, it's right in the ideal range if your bunny is spayed/neutered.

This is from rabbit.org:

A healthier protein percentage for spayed or neutered house rabbits is approximately 12-14%, a level at which it is possible to find pellet brands that contain no animal fat and list at least some actual ingredients on their labels.

and here's the link that explains that higher protein levels are preferred for those breeding rabbits but not for fixed buns.
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-4/pellets.html

I buy oxbow pellets, because I'm yet to find an Australian company that makes decent food. I get the oxbow hay as well, because its so convenient to get everything posted to me. =P

Does anyone know of an adult rabbit food that does not contain alfalfa or molasses? I feed Oxbow but it contains molasses as was mentioned above. I'm really upset about that. I actually found this out recently while switching to a different Oxbow formulation that incorporates 3 different types of hay now - Timothy, orchard, and oat. So Oxbow claims to be a great food but they are throwing sugar into a bunny digestive tract? Are they nuts?? One of my buns is pellet free due to massive digestive issues and now I'm considering making all 3 pellet free because of the sugar (molasses) issue. So annoyed. :X

Sherwood Forest has no sugar, and my buns thrive on it.

Ape337 wrote:
Does anyone know of an adult rabbit food that does not contain alfalfa or molasses? I feed Oxbow but it contains molasses as was mentioned above. I'm really upset about that. I actually found this out recently while switching to a different Oxbow formulation that incorporates 3 different types of hay now - Timothy, orchard, and oat. So Oxbow claims to be a great food but they are throwing sugar into a bunny digestive tract? Are they nuts?? One of my buns is pellet free due to massive digestive issues and now I'm considering making all 3 pellet free because of the sugar (molasses) issue. So annoyed. :X
I googled Sherwood Forest Food and there is no molasses listed in the ingredients, nor any sugars that I could recognize. The first listed ingredient, however, is premium sun-cured alfalfa (their Maintenance & Show food)

http://store.naturalrabbitfood.com/maintenance-and-show-pet-rabbit-food-12-lb-usps-priority-bulk/

Oxbow essentials (as you know) has molasses and soybean hulls (both supposedly not good), but has timothy and not alfalfa.

I think someone needs to make a food that us bunny folk would prefer.:wink

Back