what bedding this time of year?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbunnysuit

Reaction score
I have always used straw for my rabbit as bedding, but the other day round at a friends house i noticed she was only using a layer ofshavings.

I understand i will need to provide plenty of straw for the colder months, but itjust hadn't occurred to me to do anything but for bedding since i've had him.

Just wondering what bedding are other people using for their outdoor rabbits throughout the year?

Advice greatly appreciated, thanks x

Straw is not absorbent and may even insulate the moisture as well as heat so the area stays wetter than if you used no bedding. This can lead to mold. Not as likely as hay is to mold but it can happen. I always put a layer of shavings or pine pellets under straw unless it's only in a location they won't use as a toilet. Straw might also be a bit warm in the summer. I know last summer my rabbits preferred to clear even the pine shavings out of an area to lay down there and one of the does I have inside still does it.

Back