What bedding do you have in your cage/hutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixie1990

Reaction score
Have noticed in photos a lot of people dont have woodshavings?

I would like to have a litter tray and then just fleece or towel, but would the rabbit eat it? Its not much good with holes in it?

What else do you use? Noticed a few bare floors? Is that ok to do, do you have material things in there with some floor bare?

We leave our cage empty for the most part, but with some shavings here are there (we let buttercup do the decorating). We are building her a condo soon. That will have carpet (low not very loopy so she can't chew) and on some spots we will use cardboard. She doesn't like lying on fleece much, but that's probably a preference thing.

My guys dont always do all the poops in the litter box.
I used to use towels, and they chewed those and made a disaster of them, then I went back to aspen, which is great except really hard to clean in the NIC cage, so i just scrapped the aspen and am now just using their ceramic floor, and sweep up any of the poops they leave me.

Most of Butternut's cage is covered in those cheap stick on tiles that you get from Home Depot, but her litter tray is filled with a product called Equine Fresh, it's basically pine pellets for horse stalls that absorb urine and odor really well. I tried to put a towel/rug on the floor of her cage but she kept chewing on it and wadding it up so I just left the floor empty. She doesn't have any trouble walking on the slick surface. In fact she runs around in the kitchen with no problem, lol!

We just have tile floors and then a litter box with wood stove pellets. Towels get pee'd on.

I don't have any shavings - they hate them. Whenever I put shavings in the cage, they shove them all into a corner.

I have kitty litter in their litter bin, then blankets/towels/a big leftover carpet piece to sleep on. They used to chew on the towels but now they learned that they are for sleeping and they love it.

I used to have wood pellets in my buns litter bins with a towel on top, but one of my buns is a big towel chewer. So, no more. (I replaced the towel with newspaper nowadays.)

The towel method does come back for spays, because I think it is more comfortable for them. Just change the towel everyday. I usually have a separate laundry bin of just bun stuff.

Back