What are you guys going to do to keep your pets cool this summer?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbunnybun

Reaction score
What are you guys going to do to keep your pets cool this summer such as your bunnies? Some of you know that i got a cat recently and i need some tips on what to do for getting her cool this summer. i havea ceiling fan (but its not that powerful) and a regular fan. What do you guys do to keep your buns and pets cool?

I wont be with Babii this summer, my brother will be taking care of her so I told him the ice bottles, ice in the water, stuff like that.

Sparky, on the other hand will be with me at my cottage. He has an enlarged heart (theres also a hole in his heart) so CAN'T overheat.
When it gets hot I usually stick him in the bath there. Or i'll bring him to the lake.
Then when I can't spend all days at the lake/in the bathroom i'll drape a wet washcloth over his back (he's just mini) and he lets it stay on, which keeps him cool (I soak it in water/ put it in the freezer for a few minutes).

I leave out 2 water bottles for the rabbits(attached to mesh around the plants) and leave a bowl out where they relax on the hutch. I change the water every few hours.
If it's really warm, I'll take a bottle from the freezer and lay it beside them and hose down the warm parts of the garden.
I also wet my rabbits ears.

For my rottweiler, I give him cold water and every couple of hours I'll get the hose to wet him - he loves it! :p

Brandy456 wrote:
I wont be with Babii this summer, my brother will be taking care of her so I told him the ice bottles, ice in the water, stuff like that.

Sparky, on the other hand will be with me at my cottage. He has an enlarged heart (theres also a hole in his heart) so CAN'T overheat.
When it gets hot I usually stick him in the bath there. Or i'll bring him to the lake.
Then when I can't spend all days at the lake/in the bathroom i'll drape a wet washcloth over his back (he's just mini) and he lets it stay on, which keeps him cool (I soak it in water/ put it in the freezer for a few minutes).

Thanks you two for the tips and i am sorry about "Sparky" Brandy.

I try a number of things: freezing water bottles for them to lay against, wetting the ears, bowls of cold water perhaps with a few ice blocks. For hydration in the summer i try and give them even more veg than I normally give, and more cucumber and other moisture-rich ones. My rabbits have never had a problem with these types of veggies, but some will not agree with some rabbits so you have to be careful.

I also put tiles in the fridge, for them to lay against. I cover half the run to give them shade. If it is a very hot day I put them in the run in the morning, remove them in the middle of the day, and then replace them at around 4pm when the sun stops being so fierce.

Jen

Keeping the fans on low to medium is a great way to keep your pets cool in the summer. When I had to travel to the vet during the heat wave we had here in Bremerton, I sprayed both my rabbits ears to keep them cool, then I asked my cousin if he could come and pick me up from the vet and take me home, he did. Because I didn't think that Sweetie would have made it home in the hot weather.

Spraying your rabbits ears, having ice cold water bottles, putting ice cubes in the cat's water dish are all good ways to keep your pets cool in the summer.

Er...well...my bunnies are all in the house! xD

Except for one, my Angora doe, but she's kept clipped because she has this weird thing about eating the hair around her shoulders. Her wool block is bad enough as it is :p
She's can't be inside because I have no more indoor cages. She's the sweetest lil' girl to people, but to other bunnies she's a bat outta hell. So her current job is keeping the lawn moved :)

She gets clipped, cold water (waterer is automatic, so I go out and top it off with cool stuff 2-3 times a day), and a frozen bottle. Thinking of switching to a gallon jug. Plus loads of shade. Theres only a tiny bit of sun that gets under the chicken tractor.

Keeping ducks and chickens cool, completely different story xD My ducks 'free range' around my yard, and usually lay in the deep shade. Water is changed x2 daily to keep it cool, they LOVE fresh, cold water to swim in! I was thinking about laying some gallon jugs, frozen, in the shaded areas where they like to sleep to help a little too.

Since the bunny is in with the younger chicks, they get whatever she's getting, minus the clipping :biggrin:

I have a bantam hen who roams with the ducks. She's one mean cookie to the chicks. All she does is sleep with them, I have a nest box where they all converge. She helps keep the younger chicks warm by a few degrees. It stays in the low 80's here at night, but every little bit helps.

Then I got a BIG chicken with three little chicklets (about six days old now) but she's in the house with air conditioning. She gets to be outside, supervised with her chicks, when it's cooler for her dust baths. She's a real good momma and a sweet chicken.

The other 12 bunnies are also in the house. 7 are selling tomorrow. They'll get to play outside for a bit in a cage once the bottle in the freezer actually freezes a bit more. It's quite hot out, even though they'll be in the shade I don't want them having a heat stroke.

Ive got my bunny inside, and her house is in the basement so its nice and cool for her. Mostly if the dogs and cats get warm they just move to the basement to nap for a bit, and we put ice in the the water dishs too.

Latest posts

Back