What are the differences between Holland and Mini Lops??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yep I took a look at that thread, didn't see any rabbits on it that look like the dwarf lops here but the USA mini lops do look a heck of a lot like them. I also wonder why our mini lops aren't called Hollands, as I think they used to be (not too sure on this), makes it very confusing when talking to owners or breeders from other countries. a mini lop here is the smallest lop, with short body, is posed sitting with head held high and also mounted high on body. Head is round in all directions and has the 'squashed' nose look with the grumpy jowely mouth.

I took some more pics of Dodge, don't know if they show what she looks like much better. Her ears aren't very good and kind of stick out the side a bit when she hunkers down. I couldn't get her to pose exactly like the picture at the top of this thread and she bit me when I kept trying so I let her back into the hutch. She's a bit of a grumpy bum when it comes to being picked up.

bunny4.jpg

bunny1.jpg

bunny2.jpg

bunny3.jpg

*Now that I actually look at all the threads, she doesn't seem to look much like any of the lops! Maybe she's a cross breed? She is pictured with 5 and a half week old babies here, they are half dwarf half mini (in NZ terms).*

Mini lops-Boy! Dodge looks really miffed!! :D She's a cutie though!!:D

Pamnock-I will post pics of our three lops so I can show you what I mean!! They all look different to me. Head shape, body shape and size...I am no rabbit judge and believe me if this is the sort of thing you have to do!!!:? Wow!;) I have been looking at different rabbitry's and looking to see what their bunns look like!! I am almost cross eyed now! :?

Here is a pic of our first bunn Butters. We were told she was a Holland Lop, but the receipt of sale said Dwarf Lop...<sigh> All I can agree with is the lop part!:?

Maybe it's just me...but to me all my babies look different! Sorry about the pic of Butters...it is one of the best we have...she died shortly after that pic was taken. It was one of the last. Any of the others are on 35 mm instead of digital!

Are all the babies mini's just with different body shapes?? Butters was 8lbs, Solembum is 4.5 and Dandelion is 4lbs.

Thanks for any info you might be able to give Pam! It's nice having people who really know rabbits!!:DThat can help the rest of us out!!:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

At 8 lbs., Butters is most likely a mix. It's possible that someone bred a large Holland to a French Lop to get the Holland's non-extension gene into their French Lop line to produce different colors. But, we can only speculate. (appears to be tortoise color)

Solembum is probably a large "brood type" Holland. (looks like a broken tort)

Dandelion is closest to Holland Lop "show type" in both body, head and ears. (a beautiful Harlequin color. Not showable, but used to breed showable tri-colors)

The appearance of individual rabbits can vary widely within a breed, and not all have the classic "show type" appearance. This is especially true in breeds such as Holland Lops and Netherland Dwarfs that have the Dwarfing gene. Individuals in those breeds that don't inherit the dwarfing gene can look very different from their "show type" counterparts.

Pam

minilops wrote:

*Now that I actually look at all the threads, she doesn't seem to look much like any of the lops! Maybe she's a cross breed? She is pictured with 5 and a half week old babies here, they are half dwarf half mini (in NZ terms).*

I can't remember if you previously posted her weight. She could indeed be a mix. It can be difficult to tell -- the type on your Dwarf Lops (our Mini Lops) is different than ours in the US. Yours appear to have shorter, rounder, heads and shorter ears like your Minis (our Hollands).

Pam

Latest posts

Back