What are the chances?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winandpenny

Reaction score
My buck has sexually matured! He began breeding my doe this weekend. I'm wondering what the chances are that she ISN'T pregnant? He was pretty persistent but she was also rather unwilling. Nothing violent happened, she just kept her butt to the ground and mostly ran away ha ha I'm just wondering if there's a way she isn't. The breeding went on for over an hour...
Also, what are the early signs of pregnancy in a first-time doe? How can I tell if she's pregnant so I can begin preparing for the new additions? Any knowledge would help! Thanks!

I kinda doubt she is pregnant. If he has just now tried to start breeding he probably isnt well developed yet as a breeding buck. Plus if she never lifted for him then she never got bred. Hence no babies.

Are your rabbits pets? If so I recommend spaying your female immediately which will prevent the possibility of pregnancy.

If you intend to breed from them you need to separate and only put them together when you have planned for it. Now isn't a great time as if there is any problem with the birth or the mum feeding them you'll be dealing with vets, hand rearing and Christmas which is difficult and expensive combination.

So do both have to be ready for her to be bred? I've heard of cases where the buck will breed even an unwilling female. I mean, from what I saw of their "behavior," there could have been several close calls. Is there any way I can tell early on?

How old are they both?
You can't really tell if she's pregnant, unless you know how to palpate correctly and do so at 10 to 14 days. ;)
You should do a LOT of research before thinking about breeding, though. ;) If you didn't know that you can't tell "early signs" of pregnancy in a doe, then I wonder what else you don't know about breeding rabbits. It's not just taking two rabbits & putting them together and waiting 31 days. ;) You shouldn't breed two rabbits together who are mixes, as you don't know their backgrounds, etc.

You shouldn't breed just to have a cute litter of babies. ;)

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
If you didn't know that you can't tell "early signs" of pregnancy in a doe, then I wonder what else you don't know about breeding rabbits.
Personally, I don't think that you can judge whether someone has done their research on breeding by whether or not they know if there are early signs of pregnancy. There are somethings that you can't learn unless you have first hand experience breeding. We are supposedly the "experts". We have sucessfully bred and raised litters and in some cases done well on the show table with our chosen breeds, but we all started somewhere. In some cases that was just with 2 mutt rabbits and a nest box.

I think that there are early signs, but you have to watch the doe very carefully to tell. One is that they will usually stop acting "in heat" and will have no interest in the buck. Another is that they might get a bit grumpy and snort and thump when you try to mess with them.

Emily

Silver Star Rabbitry
Raising and Showing Quality Silver Marten Rabbits in North Louisiana.

http://silverstarsilvermartens.webs.com/
http://silverstarrabbitry.blogspot.com/

[email protected]

Silver Star Rabbitry wrote:
BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
If you didn't know that you can't tell "early signs" of pregnancy in a doe, then I wonder what else you don't know about breeding rabbits.
Personally, I don't think that you can judge whether someone has done their research on breeding by whether or not they know if there are early signs of pregnancy. There are somethings that you can't learn unless you have first hand experience breeding. We are supposedly the "experts".
Just by simply doing research, it is easy to learn that there aren't "early signs" of pregnancy in rabbits. ;) So yes, I do think one can tell if someone hasn't done their research.

There are some things you can't learn until you breed, but just by doing the basic research beforehand, you should know that there aren't early signs. ;) That's what I was getting at.

Emily

I have done research, and the general facts stated that there were no early signs. However, I was asking what the chances were, more than I was asking the signs. I had also learned, through my research, that some does DO exhibit early signs of pregnancy before the ability to palpate at 14 days.
I understand breeding is more than just sticking two rabbits together and I wouldn't do it just for the cute babies; too many rabbits are homeless for that attitude.
Thank you to Silver Star Rabbitry for your helpful input; I really appreciate the non-judgmental approach you took to your reply. If there is ANY more information you can tell me about whether or not my rabbit could be pregnant even though I know she's unwilling, that would be great.

winandpenny wrote:
I have done research, and the general facts stated that there were no early signs. However, I was asking what the chances were, more than I was asking the signs. I had also learned, through my research, that some does DO exhibit early signs of pregnancy before the ability to palpate at 14 days.
I understand breeding is more than just sticking two rabbits together and I wouldn't do it just for the cute babies; too many rabbits are homeless for that attitude.
Thank you to Silver Star Rabbitry for your helpful input; I really appreciate the non-judgmental approach you took to your reply. If there is ANY more information you can tell me about whether or not my rabbit could be pregnant even though I know she's unwilling, that would be great.

I'm sorry...but I was not being judgemental in my post. ;)I'm sorry you read it as such, but that's not howI meant to come across. ;)

Emily

The doe needs to lift her butt up for the buck...She doesn't have to be willing, I help my bucks out sometimes by holding her and lifting up her rear for him, but when he gets her he'll fall over and grunt or make some other type of sqeaking noise... it's a bit obvious when he does. lol So if you saw that that he got her for sure, then there is a chance she is pregnant... but if all she did was keep her butt down to the ground and he was humping her and getting no where with it... then no babies.

this is something you have to hang out and watch and make sure it gets done....and help if you have to.

I was going to suggest this grunting noise followed by a very dramatic falling over on his side or back also as wooly queen has stated. This will definately tell you that he penetrated and sucessfully bred her. However this does not always mean she will be pregnant. But is a great sign that maybe you shouldnt be surprised if she does have a litter. Good luck with the doe I hope for the best. Also if these rabbits are pets I highly recommend getting the boy neutered since his testicles have already decended. I had a friend loose a bunny i gave to her because she wanted to get the girl spayed and in my opinion its safer to neuter.

Reasons why? The boy doesnt need the length of sedation a spay needs and rabbits being very reactive to ISOflurane(the common anesthetic used in a vet clinic) and fragile its just less risk. Unless you have a very trusting exotic vet, even then i would be more likely to neuter rather than spay.

You need an experienced rabbit vet for spaying but then I'd want a vet experienced with rabbits for any op :) In the UK rescues (any bunny owners) routinely spay thousands of buns a year - it's as routine as castration.

I read the posts and you didn't mention an age I think? But some bucks will try before they are sexually mature, with all the sounds/falling off etc.
Some of my does will start acting differently within a day of mating, others if you didn't know better would act the same until just before they kindle. Signs can be showing more nervousness & nesting activities. However, if she is younger than 4 months the chances are slim that she would get pregnant.

Back