What are the best veges for buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileyBoy

Reaction score
I know that some veges are better than others when it comes to feeding your bun, e.g. no iceberg lettuce.

Any other veges to steer clear of? And what are the most nutritious and recommended veges for bunnies?

Thank you!:brownbunny

Personally, herbs seem to be better eaten by my buns. Their favorite is cilantro. I think romaine lettuce is one if not the first veggie recommended for initiating a young bunny to veggies. There is a list of good & bad veggies in the Rabbits 101 section here at RO.

High sugar veggies such as carrots are should be fed in moderation, more like a treat. Also, avoid veggies high in oxalic acid. I think there is a list in the Rabbits 101 section.

A while ago I made a list of the best rabbit foods (based on nutritional info). No idea where it is now, but I know which ones are safe because I buy / pick those, and they include:

Grass
Dandelion
Wild Plantain
Clover
^ Those I feed in lg quantities (in that order though) in the summer (I live in the woods so my lawn is pesticide-free). I buy dandelion in winter if I can find it.

Parsley (or any green herb, really, but usually parsley)
Collared greens
Kale
^ These are my grocery store "staples" for them (kale is awesome, I recommend sharing it... just cook yours!)

Turnip greens
Rutabaga greens
Carrot greens
Radish greens
Parsnip greens
Broccoli stems and leaves
Romaine lettuce
Bok Choy
^ These I feed in smaller quantities when I buy or grow the vegetable for myself

I think potatos are poisonous to them.. mine love coriander ( i think that is also called cillantro) and dandelions.. plus they Love strawberry leaves and the Odd grape... no seeds... xxx

Basil, mint, parsley, dandelion, clover, grass, green oats, green wheat (the grass part, not the mature grain), beet, carrot, parsnip, turnip, mustard greens, spinach, leafe lettuce (not head lettuce), carrots, apples, bananas (fresh or dried), apples, garlic tops and cloves (in moderation since it is a mild anti parasitic and, too much for too long can cause a type of anemia in most animals.)

Mostly dandelions, clover and herbs. Rabbits generally love them.

Mine eat cilantro romaine lettuce red leaf lettuce and green leaf lettuce. I ended up taking parsley and turnip greens out of their diet. One of my rabbits had bad gas on them.

No potato. Ours love herbs--parsley, Italian parsley, and cilantro. I also give dandelions, romaine lettuce and a small slice (razor thin) of apple or carrot as an added treat. Some things like brocoli and cauliflower are a bit gassy and others like spinach and kale are higher in calcium so you have to keep an eye out for reactions--had a few that were prone to gas problems and two with bladder sludge so they got an amended diet. There are several lists in the library here too.

Back