what are good reasons to spay are?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atjurhs

Reaction score
hi,

my bunny is a 4-5 month old Dutch female. she lives on her own in a hutch in the laundry room. there are no other bunnies in her life and I don't plan to either (although my two Golden Retrievers would love to sniff and kiss her). I feed her with really high-end pellets and Timothy Hay and veggie treats. I think her and I have "bonded", she loves to snuggle up under my chin and gives lots of kisses.

so I wonder with all this going for us, why should I have her spayed, or why should I not?

thanks for your thoughts!

Todd

so all seems really good with her, but I'm wondering

From what I've read, spayed females are less territorial and moody. Plus spaying decreases the risk of cancer. Also, even though you're not planning on her being around other rabbits, there is always the rare chance that she could escape and get impregnated outside.

there are several layers of "barriers" (like doors and walls, she lives in a hutch in the laundry room) for her to get outside.

so far she has never really showed that she is moody, sometimes a little anxious about being held too long, she "nibbled" too hard once. Is that "moody" ?

My 11.5 year old Dutch Dwarf female would have been a HANDFULL had she not been spayed. While she loves me, she is HIGHLY cage territorial with others. She would have been a HOLY TERROR had she not been fixed. Unfixed females just have so many problems compared to fixed females.

The behavior issues that people see with females are territorial. You may not see these for another couple of months or you may not see them at all. It depends and varies with each rabbit

The reproductive cancer problems are a good enough reason, but when there are extra hormones, tendencies like being cage territorial are enhanced (if they have those tendencies). That's what I need to clarify from my last response.

yeah female rabbits have an 80% risk of uterine cancer over the age of 3. I got my Bambi desexed and he is just so much more affectionate and cuddly and not so energetic.

Latest posts

Back