What age should female babies be separated to prevent bonding and greens question...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am fostering two female siblings (just 10 wks old now). They are weaned eating hay & pellets - and actually have already had a wide assortment of greens as well. (I KNOW - too early for greens...but person giving them up fed them all kinds of greens) They have done fine with them - no issues. One of the females has an adopter, they are possibly going to adopt both....but not certain seeing we can't predict future mature compatibility. Either way they buns will be in my foster care for another 5-6 weeks at least as adopters are moving to a new space and will not be settled until then . What age should I plan to separate these two babies? Knowing they may lose any bond they develop have as they mature.... since they are together now, should I be concerned about "breaking" a bond by separating them? If the adopter may only takes one, I want to avoid a stressful situation for the babes. They will be 4 months old at that point. (In general, with same sex babies, when should they be separated if not living together?)

And my greens question, should I just keep it up at this point? or will this discourage them from eating enough alfalfa & baby pellets? They eat whatever I provide for them lol.

Greens are no problem at all if they grew up with it. They can eat whatever the doe eats from the start. That saying should be more like "No drastic change in diet and no new things until a certain age".

I wouldn't seperate at all until it's time anyway, they still learn social skills and so on. And it's not that Baby Bonds always fail, it's just as their personalities develop it can sometimes be that they don't match, but with does this isn't that much of an issue short term, never seen sisters get into serious hostilities. If it doesn't work out - which I consider rather rare - you can still sewperate. I keep my doelings about 5 months with their dam, some I had up to 8 months. Duos are less problematic than trios, I think it get's somewhat easier again with higher numbers.

Bucklings are different in that regard, I would seperate those when they become adults, with mine that would be around 16 weeks. If they have issues they tend to escalate things quickly, and hormones hit them harder.

Anyway, doublecheck several times that you really have two does ;).

Thanks. Yeah, it seemed cruel to separate the babies from each other that young (since they also aren't with mom any longer) Just worried they would become too bonded to each other to start. And yeah, agreed, always recheck sex - though I am pretty certain. (famous last words.....)

Back