What age can a doe be spayed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plymothian_Sophie

Reaction score
Okay, I'm getting a doe in about 6 week (I am giving my male time to settle after his castration), she's already 8 weeks now so will be roughly 14 weeks when I get her. When can I book her in to get her spayed? I am getting confused as I have read on some sites from 12 weeks (3 months), others from 16 (4 months) and others 24 weeks (6 months) just wanted to know when will be best to book her in? Many thanks!

1400788589162.jpg

1400788613392.jpg

We recently had our doe spayed, a lion head too! The vet told us they recommend it being done before they are about 3/4 as they tend to get tumours in their wombs after this age. The vet even told us she found a couple of lumps, my bunny just turned 3. So I would go to the vet but she should be okay for a while.

Most females are ready to be spayed around 5-6 months. Some vets may want them to be closer to 6 months, and some require them to be over 2 pounds (about 1kg). Talk with your vet about when they are comfortable doing it, and go from there.
Since you seem to be wanting to bond, you may want to try to get her in sooner. It can help avoid the onset of hormonal behaviour which can make bonding a bit harder.

My vet wants me to wait till my Netherlands dwarf is at least 7 months because she isn't much bigger then a rat and they are worries she is just too small

My vet told me that he's most comfortable spaying does around 5-6 months; big enough that their organs aren't difficult to locate, but still small enough that the surgery site would be quite small. Clementine was spayed at around 6 months, at 1.7kg (mini lop), and her suture wound is about 1.5cm long so her healing has been quite easy, thankfully. :)

Since you seem to be wanting to bond, you may want to try to get her in sooner. It can help avoid the onset of hormonal behaviour which can make bonding a bit harder.
On this note, I've had Felix and Clementine together since Felix was neutered and the hormones left his system. Their bond is really close, and since Clem came home from surgery, their bond hasn't changed. I'll watch it over the next couple of weeks as the hormones leave her system, but so far their bond still seems strong, so you may not necessarily need to wait to bond them until after her spay. :)

There is no set in stone rule for age. It all depends on that vets CONFIDENCE and COMFORT level.
Spaying/neutering early does NOT affect growth.
When it comes to a pair best to get them done early and together so they can remain together during recovery. (not that these 2 are all ready together)
Boys can be done as soon as their testicles drop, and girls.. honestly... can be done as early as 6 week to 6+ years. All depends on the vet.

Personally the sooner the better so hormonal behaviour does not become learned behaviour.

Latest posts

Back