What’s the best flea treatment that’s safe for rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I have to treat my rabbit for fleas but idk what to use. Any thoughts and can you be specific please! Also I noticed that apparently safe to use revolution and some other treatment but it’s labeled only for cats, dogs and ferrets.

Last edited:
Found this.. is this safe? I just wanna add louie is not above 5 pounds. He’s around 4 pounds maybe even 5 but I would have to weigh him. How would I know the proper measurements?

Attachments

• 7F7E7C84-1C85-4278-9774-8B38341DFC0D.png
    7F7E7C84-1C85-4278-9774-8B38341DFC0D.png
    428.2 KB · Views: 1
You'll need to treat both the rabbit and the environment/housing too.

Jenny is our health moderator and is up on dosage, etc. Here is a quote from a prior post of hers (until she is able to come on here and add to this discussion).

Dosage is based on the rabbits weight. The dose of Revolution/Stronghold(selamectin) for rabbits is 3x the dose used for cats/dogs when treating for fleas, or it's less effective(based on study conducted). Dosage is 18mg/kg when treating for fleas. You have to make sure it's dosed correctly or it won't clear up the fleas. So the amount used depends on the weight of the rabbit.

https://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleases/aug10/selamectin83010.html

This is from Medirabbit website:

It is important to treat both the rabbit infested by fleas, other pet animals in the household, and the environment.

Fleas are eliminated by sprays, powder products or topical products:

• pyrethrin based products.

• selamectin: Revolution® (US) or Stronghold® (Europe) - Pfizer, 18 mg/kg. A single topical (local) dose should be sufficient; if not, repeat in 30 days.

• imidacloprid: Advantage® - Bayer, one single application is generally sufficient to remove the fleas. If this is not the case, the treatment can be repeated after 30 days. The vapors of this product can lead to irritation of the eyes; it is thus recommended to aerate the room where the rabbit lives in.

• lufenuron: Program® - Novartis, 10 mg/kg. One sole treatment should be sufficient. If not, the treatment can be repeated after 30 days.

Impregnated anti-flea collars should never be used in rabbits. They lead to severe irritation and burning of the skin. There are reported cases, where the rabbit attempted to remove its collar, and died as a result of jamming its jaw in the collar.

Treatment of the environment is important (boric acid such as Fleabusters®; Vet-Kem Acclaim Plus® - Sanofi; Staykil® - Novartis; Indorex® - Virbac; acaricide spray). When treating a carpet, vacuum first in order to further penetration of the spray or powder. Shampooing and steam cleaning are not ideal; their residual humidity can increase the mite problem. During treatment of the environment, rabbits should be kept in another part of the home to avoid the danger of contact with the products.

Yes, Revolution (selamectin) at 18mg/kg, is the most effective and safest treatment for rabbits for fleas. It's rx so it requires a prescription from your vet. Rabbits need a higher dose per kg than what is used for cats and dogs, for it to be effective (based on a study conducted).

https://www.k-state.edu/media/newsr... widely,Kansas State University research team.

Regular Advantage is the other flea treatment safe for rabbits, but I think the Regular Advantage is only available in Europe. Advantage II is what's sold in the US, and some rabbits may be sensitive to the added ingredient in it. So I would choose Revolution (selamectin) whenever possible.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Fleas#:~:text=The following are flea medications,not, repeat in 30 days.

If you do decide to risk treating with the Advantage II, it's used off label so there are no rabbit specific instructions.
You should verify dosing info with your rabbit knowledgeable vet, but dosing is the same as what's used for cats and dogs, as far as I'm aware.

If you do decide to risk treating with the Advantage II, it's used off label so there are no rabbit specific instructions.
You should verify dosing info with your rabbit knowledgeable vet, but dosing is the same as what's used for cats and dogs, as far as I'm aware.
Thank you for responding. I would like to use revolution but it seems very expensive and I’m not sure whether my parents would wanna pay that much for a flea treatment.. If I do manage to get it then which one is the one I’m supposed to get? And how harmful is advantage II? You know what.. should I just go to a veterinarian and ask for a treatment or call them and see what they say?
Is there another way I can get rid of fleas on rabbits without using revolution or advantage?

Last edited:
Back