What’s a fruit I can give to my rabbit everyday? And how much can I feed him?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
Hey guys so I unfortunately can’t buy louie his treats anymore. Sister doesn’t wanna buy him stuff anymore and I don’t have money and I also don’t have a good relationship with dad so.. I can’t buy him anything unless I really need it then I can ask my sister who doesn’t have income but sometimes has money to spend. Anyways, what can I feed him THATS not gonna be too sweet? I fed him some banana today and he loved it but idk if that’s okay to feed him everyday. I gave him two bits. Any thoughts?

Since treats have a lot of sugar in them anyway, and should only be given sparingly, a little bit of banana, strawberry, even a piece of apple will do as replacement treats.
cool! I think I’ll just give him banana since it’s his favorite. I’m allowed to give him some everyday or should I maybe it only 2-3 per week

Provided feeding fruit doesn't cause mushy poop or other signs of digestive upset, a limited amount can be fed every day. Here's a general guide for feeding treats. Remember it's best to introduce any new foods gradually, starting with a small amount.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/treats.html

Provided feeding fruit doesn't cause mushy poop or other signs of digestive upset, a limited amount can be fed every day. Here's a general guide for feeding treats. Remember it's best to introduce any new foods gradually, starting with a small amount.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/treats.html
Okay cool! I’ve introduced him to banana, strawberry, raspberry, black berries and blue berries. So many to choose but i can feed any of these 2-3 times a week. Also can I feed it two times a day or should I preferably cut it up so it can be similar to feeding him two times just in moderation. Louie says hello 👋🏽

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 3
The link @JBun gave explains in detail. Every day is fine. It would be better to feed 1 tablespoon's worth each day than to feed more than that every few days. It is the sudden addition of too much sugar that can cause digestive upset. So 1 T every day would be better than, say, offering a half of a banana one time per month. That half of a banana would be too much sugar all at once. That is what you want to avoid.
Click the link, though, for more.

The link @JBun gave explains in detail. Every day is fine. It would be better to feed 1 tablespoon's worth each day than to feed more than that every few days. It is the sudden addition of too much sugar that can cause digestive upset. So 1 T every day would be better than, say, offering a half of a banana one time per month. That half of a banana would be too much sugar all at once. That is what you want to avoid.
Ahh okay. Makes sense!

And I'll add, gradually introduced like I mentioned above. So start with say, 1/4 tsp chunk of whatever you're going to try, for 2-3 days. If no signs of mushy poop or upset, then gradually increase the amount each day to get to the 1 tbsp. This is fresh fruit. Dried is a much smaller amount.

And I'll add, gradually introduced like I mentioned above. So start with say, 1/4 tsp chunk of whatever you're going to try, for 2-3 days. If no signs of mushy poop or upset, then gradually increase the amount each day to get to the 1 tbsp. This is fresh fruit. Dried is a much smaller amount.
Sounds good 👌🏽 Thank you

Hello! It also depends on the size of your bun, my 8 lb rabbit Misty demands banana every morning and I give her about 2 tablespoons, but a smaller rabbit would need a smaller portion. You could also give your bun healthier treats like leaves and grass. My rabbit LOVES raspberry leaves and they have less sugar than fruit so you can feed them a bit more.

Hello! It also depends on the size of your bun, my 8 lb rabbit Misty demands banana every morning and I give her about 2 tablespoons, but a smaller rabbit would need a smaller portion. You could also give your bun healthier treats like leaves and grass. My rabbit LOVES raspberry leaves and they have less sugar than fruit so you can feed them a bit more.
Really? That’s amazing. I wish I could have access to that but thank you for the information.

Back