Wetness around nose and muzzle area

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fannymanson

Reaction score
I justcame home for mylunch break and saw something strange on both of my boys. They have wetness around their nose and the fur on their muzzles. One of them is a little damp on his front legs.

I keep them outdoors and it is about 80 degrees here today.

They are Mini Rexes, 2 years old and have a diet of free choice hay and water and 1/4c pellets daily.

Is this an indicator of a problem? Or is this wetness common in warm weather? They have been out in warmer weather before but I have never seen this wetness before, so I am concerned.

Where did the moisture come from? Do they lick their muzzles to keep cool? Should I bring them inside?

It can be an indicator of a problem. If it's humid where you are, the moisture from their respiration may not be evaporating (a primary method of cooling for rabbits.) Some air movement (a fan) and air cooling (frozen water bottles) can help.

I have brought them inside, down to the basement where it is nice and cool. I have to work all afternoon, so I hope this is just a passing problem.

if you bring them inside, be prepared to keep them inside. Yes it's hot and they are probably misreble, but I would take frozen water bottles out to them. This years warm weather has been odd where it just SUDDENLY hit, instead of gradually warming up.. or atleast here. But I wouldn't keep taking them in and out.

Definitely sounds like this could be heat related. Keep them inside for a while and see if it gets better. If it is still an issue, or if you hear them sneeze, take them to the vets. It could be a sinus infection and they may need antibiotics. A lot of rabbits have come into contact, or are carriers of bacteria that never show signs of an infection. Situations like stress can cause an infection to develop. If they were outside they may have been exposed to something that could make this a possibility.

I would just keep your eye on them (which it sounds like you're doing anyway), and hopefully just being in a cooler environment will make a difference.

They recovered beautifully, so I'm convinced that the combination of heat and humidity and lack of a breeze caused them to overheat. Thanks to all who helped!!

Latest posts

Back