Wet Dewlap

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatsMeowTree

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had this or know more about itthan I? I just know that it's caused by the doe putting her dewlap inthe water crock, the flesh/fur turns green and the bacteria actuallymakes it smell like grapes! I removed the hair (as much as I could) andapplied an antibiotic ointment. Thing is, how long does this take toclear up? She has a double dewlap (yes, a DQ for Californians) but shecouldn't of had this for more than 3-4 days. She has a litter right nowand she was entered as a doe and litter for the fair in 2 weeks. Ireally don't know any more about this, I guess I'm just wondering howlong it will take to clear up.

Thanks Guys,

Kat

clearing it up may take sometime , you might try raising the crock abit higher so she cant get herair bag in the water , Keeping it dryis the key to clearing her up. Have you tried her with a water bottle? If Bacteria is setting init wont be long before an infection ofgood standing could set in .

I would try either raising thecrock or a waterbottle it may be the only wayto keep her dry . jmo.

Yeah, I raised her crock but I'm going to haveto give her a bottle because of the babies. She used to be my best showCalifornian but I've never had this before.

Kat

Generally clears up pretty quick -- should befine in 2 weeks as long as you keep up on the antibiotic ointment andkeep the area dry. Hang a water bottle up high to keep herdewlap from getting wet.

Cals don't have a DQ for a double dewlap, however the Giant Chin does(as well as for a side carried dewlap). There are also nodewlap faults in the Cal standard, in fact, I don't believe the Calstandard even mentions the word "dewlap" ;)

The only other breeds with breed listed dewlap DQs areNetherland Dwarf, Polish, Tan, Silver, Dwarf Hotot, Himalayan, andPetite as well and the Giant Chin.

Many other breeds do list dewlap faults.

Pam

lol, ok..... I must've thought that because Ihave a card here that says my senior doe was faulted for a largedewlap?? I never really understood that. This girl has a huge dewlap,so wet dewlap should have been considered before I gave her the crock.Thanks for reminding me

If you don't switch to a water bottle, you couldput a ball in the bowl that leaves enough room for her to drink but notenough room for her dewlap. I saw it in one of the rabbitbooks I read. I use it to keep Mocha from putting toys in herwater bowl, otherwise every toy she has would be soaking wet.:p

haha! yeah, mine tend to "make" their own toys..silly things. I have a few extra bottles, I'll just give her two so Iknow she won't run out.

Kat

Latest posts

Back