Wet balding chin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GertieP

Reaction score
Our Rocco has developed a new issue. We switched him to an all-hay diet this past month because of a digestive issue and it worked. Because he really increased his hay consumption he also drinks a lot more water. We noticed his chin was often wet so dried it off regularly and trimmed the fur a bit, and also switched to a more shallow bowl so his chin doesn't get in the water. That helped some and we are working on getting him to drink from a bottle (no luck yet!) But he keeps losing fur under his chin and today I noticed a little red bump next to his mouth. The vet said his teeth were in good shape at his last visit a few weeks back. The soonest I can get an appointment to check this out is 2 weeks (only rabbit vet anywhere in our area.) I suspect it may be a fungal infection but won't know until then. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse between now and then?

Often wetness and fur loss around the mouth and chin will be due to drooling and dental issues. And really the only thing for that is for your vet to address and correct the dental problem. If it's not drooling and dental related, then wetness from the water bowl and fungal dermatitis or moist dermatitis, are skin conditions that could occur from the consistently damp fur.

Until you can get to the vet for the correct diagnosis and treatment, if you know how to safely clip fur, that can help for the area not to stay as damp. Though do be very careful as it can be easy to accidentally snip the skin. Using a comb between blunt tip scissors can help prevent this. If the skin isn't very red and irritated, I would be inclined to not try and apply anything to the skin itself, and just wait until seeing the vet. If the skin is irriatated, you could consult with the vet as to something safe to apply to it until your appointment.

Medirabbit: excessive salivation

Medirabbit: moist dermatitis

Medirabbit: fungal dermatitis

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I agree with jbun, one of my buns had drooling and it was his back teeth, they trimmed them down and was good afterwards.. That little. Bump could be a sign of a bad tooth on the inside, like an absess...did your vet put him under to check his teeth thoroughly?

I agree with jbun, one of my buns had drooling and it was his back teeth, they trimmed them down and was good afterwards.. That little. Bump could be a sign of a bad tooth on the inside, like an absess...did your vet put him under to check his teeth thoroughly?
Thanks, I am sure he did not put him under since it was not an issue then. I trimmed his fur under his chin and that has helped. Still working on the water bottle!

Thanks, I am sure he did not put him under since it was not an issue then. I trimmed his fur under his chin and that has helped. Still working on the water bottle!
I use the heavy ceramic water bowls for dogs..they get a better drink than a water bottle. Works great. Are you trying the water bottle because it's getting spilled? They cannot spill with the heavy ones I use...just wondering

I use the heavy ceramic water bowls for dogs..they get a better drink than a water bottle. Works great. Are you trying the water bottle because it's getting spilled? They cannot spill with the heavy ones I use...just wondering
I'm trying the water bottle because his chin and neck fur were getting wet when he drinks from a bowl. I'm thinking that since he has zero problem eating that it might not be his teeth but the shape of his adorable little face.

I'm trying the water bottle because his chin and neck fur were getting wet when he drinks from a bowl. I'm thinking that since he has zero problem eating that it might not be his teeth but the shape of his adorable little face.
Ohhh, ok...well good luck! I hope all goes well...

Yes veterycin is magic for skin issues...trim the fur down as close to the skin as possible with safety scissors. He likely has a patch of skin breakdown from the water being trapped next to it. I have a Doe that has this issue on her dewlap upon occasion bc she just gets too lazy to clean up after drinking. You can then put some plain original neosporin ointment (no painkillers added) on it periodically until it heals. I would personally stick with the bowls vs. Bottle simply bc they can have issues with dehydration and neck problems when using the bottle longterm. The annoyance of having you tend to him for sometime should correct the problem for a bit. You can give him a couple of chamomile flowers tossed in his hay for pain relief as well.

Please do check out the links Jbun provided above they speak on this topic very clearly.

Back