Wet around eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helena

Reaction score
Yesterday Bunster was playing and she bit and pulled her cage door (she does that if she wants to go somewhere and she needs to move it.). Then, she jumped back and I immediately made sure she was ok. She had some blood in her nose. My mother (whose a health expert) told me to put some iodine on it to clean it. I put it on a Q-tip and cleaned it. This morning though she had wetness around her eye. My parents told me it would be fine (they probably though i was overreacting, but no i just love her.). Now i was taking her downstairs to watch a movie and noticed her other eye was wet as well. She is acting normal but i just need to know what to do. This morning when i saw her one wet eye I took a warm wash rag and wiped it but now what? My parents won't let me take her to see a vet unless its serious. Anyway i wouldn't even be able to take her until tomorrow at 12ish. I can't go unless it's serious. I really love her and want the best for her though. Thanks for any help😔 FYI recently she was moved to a differant spot and does have a cat litter box some feet away (10ish). Not sure if that means anything. Im more thinking her eyes are caused by her bloody nose. I just need to be told what to do. Thanks rabbit family! You're the best!

Update:
Shes still acting normal. I just put her in her cage for the night. Shes still really damp around her eyes. No puss that i know of though. Last night i checked her mouth and it seemed normal.

I searched about your situation maybe it's because of Epistaxis, or bleeding from the nose, occurs due to one of three abnormalities: blood clotting disorder, space-occupying tumor, or organ disease. And maybe her eyes are wet because she feels pain or something. I'm not sure but rabbits do cry, they need to be in an extreme state of anguish (pain/suffering) and despair in order to let the tears out.

I searched about your situation maybe it's because of Epistaxis, or bleeding from the nose, occurs due to one of three abnormalities: blood clotting disorder, space-occupying tumor, or organ disease. And maybe her eyes are wet because she feels pain or something. I'm not sure but rabbits do cry, they need to be in an extreme state of anguish (pain/suffering) and despair in order to let the tears out.
But its weird because she acting normal and friendly. Would that mean she's fine? Thanks for responding and taking the time to search. Also I recently had to move her cage (yesterday) and since then she hasn't been eating pellets, not sure about hay. Do you think that might have something to do with a mouth injury? Shes acting normal except for not eating pellets. I'm really worried.

Last edited:
So I've just been trying to find answers online right now. Then i decided to see if Bunster would eat a treat. Poor bunny. She normally pulls it out of my hand. This time she tried a wee bit to bite it, gave up, and started licking it. I'm going to give her a bit of banana right now, then do research on soft stuff i can feed her a lot of. Please help!

I had rabbits with bad teeth before. It was quite common for them to get a watery eye when they needed a dental. I would have to take them to the vet to get their teeth filed. If I could not get them to the vet right away, they would stop eating and I would have to syringe feed them. Sometimes a rabbit would get wet under the chin from drooling. I never noticed blood in the nose. My best guess is that she needs to see the vet as soon as possible. If the problem is with her back teeth, you may not be able to see it. Rabbits need to eat all the time to maintain a healthy gut. Call the vet!

How expensive is that? I'm not sure how much my parents will let me spend. Right now they are really annoyed with me for worrying about how much space she gets. If she really needs it maybe they'll cave.

How expensive is that? I'm not sure how much my parents will let me spend. Right now they are really annoyed with me for worrying about how much space she gets. If she really needs it maybe they'll cave.
They would have to put your rabbit under anesthesia to work on her teeth, and I don't know if they would charge you for an exam. You can call the vet and ask how much a dental on a rabbit would cost first. It has been a few years since I had to have it done on a rabbit, but I think it was a little over $100. So call the vet first and explain your rabbit's problem and see what the vet says.

Latest posts

Back