West Wind's Rabbitry

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! That was the first 2 minutes of my daughter holding him. I took him out to the recliner, to watch the Steeler's game. He ended up on my shoulder or right under my chin. haha

Max is a sleepy bunny. He scared me earlier. One second he was sleeping on his cardboard, he got up hopped two hops, then just flopped. I thought he died. Maybe sitting here, watching him almost 24/7, isn't a good idea. I keep thinking, "OMG! He's dead!" Then I wake him up to make sure he's not. Neither of us are going to get any sleep at this rate. haha

max_sleeping.jpg

oh my goodness! look at that sweet face in the last pic!!! I just want to squeeze him and cover him in smooches! (ok I'll contain myself... for now)

Max is growing like a weed! It's probably because he's always chowing down on something. LOL

Here's an updated little clip of him running. It's hard to catch it on film. One minute he's sitting still, the next taking off like his butt's on fire. haha

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2959547313477

386491_2959598114747_1405356771_3110184_722060555_n.jpg

Posing isn't going well, though. He tries hopping away, and when we stop him, he just flops down. LOL I have a feeling, when he gets a bit bigger and can eat actual treats, he'll be easy to get to cooperate. He's a bit of a piggy. :)

Here are some pictures of my make-shift rabbitry. Once spring comes, we'll be giving the milk house a makeover. Until then, a horse stall has to work.

Here's the hutch (because I was short on cages). I figure once Adeline's babies are weaned, I can put them all in there. It's not quite as wide as the cage, but it's longer. This is right inside the stall door, to the left.

65738_3490927157641_1405356771_3326596_143362527_n.jpg

This is the left side. Rosa (on the right side) was stacked on top of Adeline, but removed when she kindled. The old horse blankets are to make sure the babies stay nice and warm. I'm going to make quilted cage covers to slip over the cages next winter, but for now the old blankets work.

420219_3490928037663_1405356771_3326598_697366627_n.jpg

And a shot of the right side. Rosa is just temporarily setting to the left of the grooming table/cabinet. And to the right of the feed can are the supplements, some bales of hay, etc.

426283_3490928237668_1405356771_3326599_452929445_n.jpg

And here's a shot of my little storage corner. Spare crocks/water bottles, and misc. odds and ends.

419198_3490928637678_1405356771_3326600_415233380_n.jpg

Thanks. :) And yes, they all have big plastic resting mats. Plus they get "free time" in the x-pen to play. But I'll tell you now, whoever said rabbits don't like wire is lying. Max has free run of the den. He can come and go out of his cage at will. He spends 99% of his time in his cage, sleeping. Very rarely does he take much of a nap out on the carpet.

Excellent "makeshift" rabbitry. Really looks good and will be easy to switch over once you get the Permanent rabbitry place in your barn or milking area.

Regarding wiring, to each his own. As long as your bunny is safe and comfortable, which sounds like they are, you are fine. And excellent to get them out to run in the x-pen. It really does a bunny good mentally and it makes them so happy.

Really nice. Can't wait to see what you do when you move them permanently. I know it takes time, but your "temporary" set up is excellent until you get the permanent place set up.

K:)

Thanks, K. I used to have the cages hanging (when I only had 4) and it was a PITA. That's why I went with stacking...so much easier to deal with, for sure. I do check their hocks, to make sure none develop any sores. If I notice any getting sore hocks, I'll put wood in the bottom (like I did Ad's) so they aren't on the wire. I have some ideas in my head, which I think would make my ideal cage, but need to get it on paper and see if the son or hubby can get it to work. Mainly just wooden frames and wooden floors, with wire for sides and top. The metal stacking legs can be shaky, when they run and hop around. Plus I want them longer, with larger doors.

Not only do they all have resting mats, but they also always have hay, at all times, which they tend to lay on while munching.

The X-pen is the tallest you can get. So far, only Adeline has ever jumped over it, and she can do it with ease. Thankfully I sold 4 horses, so have lots of stalls. We have 2 stalls that have a door in the middle (we made it for a fire escape, since the back horses have to come out the front aisle, and if there were a fire near that aisle from front to back, we'd never get the back ones out). Anyway, I'm going to shift the rabbits down a stall, then use the back one (which is 12'x16'...fronts are 12'x14', because of the barn beams). My son is going to build me a fence, with wooden frame, for the end of the back stall (which has the old manure ditch, filled with gravel, which rabbits can dig out of). Then they'll have around 14'x14' foot for nothing but running around in.

The milk house has a huge cement slab, built up about 3 inches, that can't be removed (without destroying the cement flooring). So he'll eventually build me a wooden fence, and that will be used for their turnout area. But the whole thing needs re-wired, new lighting, plugs, etc., so that's going to take a while.

When people come to see the rabbits now, they have to walk through the barn yard (which usually has horses in it) and then into the barn. Once they're in the milk house, they just have to walk up 3 little steps, and they're in the rabbitry.

Well, Spaz seemed to be settling in well this morning. He just about has a heart attack if you even just put hay in his pen. Poor fellow. I hope, with some work and some TLC, he can find some comfort in being petted, groomed, etc.

Adeline's babies are doing well. They all look like they're squinting, because their eyes are starting to open. And they are really wiggly when holding them, making holding one in my left hand and snapping a picture with my right impossible. LOL

Twila's babies are doing well, too. She has finally pulled enough fur to give them a really nice blanket. It was so nice of her to actually use the nest box. It makes checking the babies soooooo much easier! Maybe Ad will use one next time.

Here are Ad's babies, day 8 today.
422616_3510882016500_1405356771_3333437_1318191534_n.jpg

While Ad's babies are more fun to see, here are Twila's plain janes. :)

64799_3510884456561_1405356771_3333438_162529677_n.jpg

Precious babies. So glad they are all doing well.

I think with your TLC Spaz will calm down. Poor guy.

K:)

Thanks, K. :) How much longer until you bring Luna home?

I don't think he will. He's got a screw loose somewhere. I'm going to try, but he'll probably be put back up for sale in a month or so. Especially with that screaming crud. It scared me and every rabbit within 100 miles. LOL

wendymac wrote:
Thanks, K. :) How much longer until you bring Luna home?

I don't think he will. He's got a screw loose somewhere. I'm going to try, but he'll probably be put back up for sale in a month or so. Especially with that screaming crud. It scared me and every rabbit within 100 miles. LOL
11 more days! It can't get here fast enough. I just want to get this show on the road! Get her home, get her settled and then watch her grow like I am doing with Neville. This is sort of like a lull in the action for a bit because they need to grow up. I wanted to start with young ones. I know there is no guarantee with Luna having kits, but doesn't matter. If that doesn't succeed, will try another. But we will not fall into rush mode. And she will stay with us forever if it doesn't work out. We view Neville and Luna as pets, even though they are our breeding foundation.

So sorry to hear about Spaz. I know it's frustrating and disappointing but hopefully in time he will calm down. Poor boy screaming. It's truly sad to hear. I don't get some breeders who allow bunnies to get this uptight. It's truly sad. But don't give up.

K :)

Back