We're moving. Suggestions to help our bunny princess transition.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnyluvr

Reaction score
Hello all. We will be moving within the next month or two. We are looking for some suggestions to make the transition easier for our Betsy Bunny.
We know the obvious. We're going to bring her blankie, tunnels and toys that have her scent on them. Since we have rescued her 3 1/2 years ago, she has only been away from her home to go to the vet.
We are planning to take some vacation time from work so we can be with her after the move.
She is a very routine and picky princess.
We are looking for any additional suggestions to help the transition go as smoothly as possible.

Depends a bit on how the move process will be (how far, over how long, etc.) so some suggestions may not be feasible. Whenever we moved with rabbits, I kept them at the original home as long as possible. That's what they were most familiar with even if there was all the commotion of packing boxes, moving furniture, etc. It was still "home."

I would, at the same time, try to setup the area in the new home that the buns would be. That meant trying to get the furniture in that room all set in its place and their area reasonably established. The rabbits would then be the last to move to the new home. They'd go right to their new area (in their cage for this stage). I'd keep them confined, then, for at least one week while I settled things in the new home. They were not "let out" for exercise during this time. I believe this helps them to get accustomed to all the new sights, sounds, and smells of the new place while still feeling "safe" in their enclosure.

After a week or more, I'd let them out for the first exploring. The last time we moved, one of the two rabbits still would not venture out for another week. He was more cautious. The other was ready to explore at the first opportunity. I just let them go at their own pace.

Depends a bit on how the move process will be (how far, over how long, etc.) so some suggestions may not be feasible. Whenever we moved with rabbits, I kept them at the original home as long as possible. That's what they were most familiar with even if there was all the commotion of packing boxes, moving furniture, etc. It was still "home."

I would, at the same time, try to setup the area in the new home that the buns would be. That meant trying to get the furniture in that room all set in its place and their area reasonably established. The rabbits would then be the last to move to the new home. They'd go right to their new area (in their cage for this stage). I'd keep them confined, then, for at least one week while I settled things in the new home. They were not "let out" for exercise during this time. I believe this helps them to get accustomed to all the new sights, sounds, and smells of the new place while still feeling "safe" in their enclosure.

After a week or more, I'd let them out for the first exploring. The last time we moved, one of the two rabbits still would not venture out for another week. He was more cautious. The other was ready to explore at the first opportunity. I just let them go at their own pace.

Thank you Blue Eyes for all the suggestions. We will be sure that Betsy will be the last thing we move! Thankfully, our new house is only about 15 minutes away from our current location. My husband and I had talked about letting her get familiar with her area before she goes out for her exercise time. Also, the floors are all hard wood in the new house and she will only go on carpeted areas. We have already looked at area rugs so she can explore her new house comfortably! I will update when we are all moved and settled in! Thanks again!

Back