Well, I think my dog killed something...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
I let my dog out and left him out for about an hour. We have a fenced in backyard and I do this often.

Well, I just let him back in and hes covered in blood. I think he may have killed something while he was out there. I didn't see or hear anything. He is a Dingo but his prey drive is pretty low, as long as someone is outside with him. When he's out by himself, all bets are off.

He just got a bath! I haven't gone out there with a flashlight yet, but I don't really want to.
Its happened before and that time he was covered from head to tail. I think he took down a deer that time.

Sorry this is a little long and graphic. But I'm just irritated at my animal right now!

Ughhhh.

Bahahahaha. Y'all haven't met my husband!

So, waking him up to tell him the dog is covered in blood, would probably get a laugh! I'm the one who deals with the animal issues. No matter what they are, so I'll have to go out in the morning and look for what he killed when I feed my chickens.

I'm just hoping it wasn't one of my chickens.

Oh geesh that is crazy! I would be freaking out too! Was your dog okay, no injuries on him?

No injuries on him. I still need to walk around and look in the yard.

Meg, i don't know if the blood thing is true. I've heard different things and I'm not sure what to believe.

He slept in the kitchen last night and all my indoor animals are safe, so who knows what happened.

No, I dont think that blood thing is true either.

Did you check the pads of his paws cause when those get cut they bleed A LOT even if its just a small cut.

The dog getting a taste for blood thing is not true....they arent vampires lol Even though his prey drive is low, he still has a prey drive, especially with being a Dingo. Its just engrained in him. Best thing you can do is watch him when hes outside and teach him not to do stuff like that

Try not to let him out by himself, if he was covered in blood it was probably something big he killed. Last thing you want is for him is a farmer finding him killing their live stock! Maybe buy/make a run you can put him in that is secure when he isn't in the house or being walked? When their natural instincts kick in they can go for miles and miles and do awful damage.

The fence keeps him in. He doesn't jump, even when hes feeling "crazy." We live in the middle of 5 acres and we don't have neighbors on the sides of us, only across the street. We do have a lot of critters around here though, the racoons will climb the trees to get into the yard. He's chased the racoons off before.
I don't know what it was. I just walked my whole yard, except the canal of our pond and I didn't see anything. So I don't know what happened.
All my chickens are accounted for. Thankfully.

The strange thing is, he is such a good dog. He isn't aggressive to anyone. My son hangs on him all the time, pulls his tail and fur and our dog never does anything. He just lays there and takes it. He usually does pretty well when I'm outside with him, he's pretty well trained. He listens very well and stays right by my side. I guess its because I wasn't out there with him last night and I may have just left him out for too long.

But, I won't be doing that again. I'll always go out with him from now on! No more bloody dogs!

My little, 14 lb dog loves to hunt and kill things, especially birds. There was a baby bird once this summer not able to fly, and I had her on a leash, but I could NOT get her away. I tried to pick her up, but she nipped at me(which she never does) so I sat there trying to get the bird to run away, and I accidentally hit the button to let her loose on her flexi-leash, and she started fighting with it. It did fight back, but didn't win long. By this time I had to look away, then I looked back and she had bird guts all over her, and then started puking white, then went back to eat more bird, then threw up again.

By this time I finally dragged her away, as I was crying. :sad: :cry4:

Dogs are gross sometimes. By the way, this same dog flushed out a 14 point buck. She's crazy.

That's insane. I've always wanted bigger dogs (right now we've got a Rat Terrier mix and a Pomeranian, both annoying little dogs) but I'd FREAK if I saw my dog kill something. I couldn't handle it. :(

littl3red wrote:
That's insane. I've always wanted bigger dogs (right now we've got a Rat Terrier mix and a Pomeranian, both annoying little dogs) but I'd FREAK if I saw my dog kill something. I couldn't handle it. :(
Newfoundlands are huge dogs that are never alpha. They are so non-aggressive and mellow. I remember taking mine to one of those petsmart training classes with other dogs when a black lab just lunged for my Newfie near the neck and got a huge mouth full of fur. (Thankfully newfs have that lion's mane of fur) The trainer was on the lab in an instant but my Newfie just stood there looking like "hey, dude, what's your problem." My Newf never retaliated - just stood there and looked at the lab as if the lab just lost his mind.

Suzette, thats crazy! My dog is not aggressive towards other dogs or our animals. I think he knows which ones are pets and which are wild. He has protected my chickens on numerous occasions by chasing away racoons. I guess he would have caught and taken out the racoons if I hadn't been out there. He spends a lot of time with my chickens too, he walks around the yard with them. He's afraid of my rooster (who is gigantic) so he shys away from the rooster.

But, he is good with our cats and rabbit. He will lay in the floor with foo and she will climb and hop all over him and he doesn't care. She lays next to him all the time. I've had them together since she was a baby and he has never made a move for her. Even when we lived in a 400 sq foot apartment and she was out 24/7, they shared a bed and he didn't care at all.

I guess his prey drive is geared towards wild animals only? If that makes any sense. Its like when he goes outside something triggers in his brain that its "hunt time."

That does make sense. Our current Labradoodle is fine with our pets (and, of course, our rabbits). But if we go for a walk in the desert, he'll chase the jackrabbits in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Back