Welcome, Me.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdellin

Reaction score
I'm welcoming myself. :)

Haven't been here before, but I found this site on the net. I am a new bunny owner. Cali is a small, six-pound, lop-eared bunny with the coloring of my chinchilla. Maybe someone can tell me what breed she is, if not a mutt. Cali is about 3 years old and was a present from my husband for our five-year anniversary. She was owned by a friend who had her housed in an outdoor hutch. She nowlives indoors and is becoming more tame as I spend time with her. She's litter box trained already, which was so nice. I've had a vet come to the house and she passed her exam with flying colors.

Anyway, I have been doing as much reading as I can to find out how to care for her best. She gets a blend of timmothy hay pellets daily (1/4 cup 2Xday) and a handful of fresh greens twice a day. I give her a bunch of raw timmothy hay also, so she has access to hay almost always (unless she piggies it all up too fast). I give her treats as apple slices, bananna or carrots a couple times a day. The greens I give her are usually parsley, ital. parsley, cilantro, cabbage, kale, mustard greens and just started romaine lettuce. If anyone can suggest additions that would be appreciated. I read that some veggies can give her gas and make her tummy upset.

Cali doesn't get much sunlight being an indoor bunny, but I've been told that's okay since bunnies are nocturnal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do have one questions: I have a book, The Rabbit, by Audrey Pavia, and in it she suggests that indoor rabbits can be provided with a box of soil to provide for their digging needs. Do others do that for their bunnies? If so, what kind of soil should I get.

For me, being a new bunny owner, I am always open to suggestions/corrections so that I can provide the best care I can for Cali.

Welcome to the forum!

About the soil thing - if you let your bun in the garden in a run then if he wants to dig he will dig - but you don't rreally want him digging and not digging won't really hurt him.

I cannot wait to see pictures!!

Okay by the way i misread what you said and kept calling her a him sorry about that :?

And you sound like a great bunny owner - bunnies are usually most active dawn and dusk but mine are always willing for a cuddle or a playany time of day!

:hello& :welcome1to the forum!and to the wonderful world of being a bunny slave.

She sounds like a beautiful bunny, can't wait to see pictures.

Its a great that your doing so much research on caring for your bunny. The library section of the forum has some great info too.

For veggies you have them covered, my rabbits also like green lettuce,collard greens and danelion greens.They also like orchard grass.

You might want to limit treats to once a day, as she could put on some weight.

What are you using for litter? Stay away from pineshavings thatare not kiln dried. Shavings that are not kiln dried contain pine resin which can be toxic torabbits. Many people usekiln dried wood pellets or shavings andYesterdays News litter.

sdellin wrote:
I'm welcoming myself. :)

Cali doesn't get much sunlight being an indoor bunny, but I've been told that's okay since bunnies are nocturnal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

For me, being a new bunny owner, I am always open to suggestions/corrections so that I can provide the best care I can for Cali.

Welcome to the forum!:wave:

Can't wait for pics, not sure what breed the bun would be, feel free to post a pic of her in the Rabbitry section of the forum, where you'll get answers there as to what kind she is!:)

Actually, rabbits are Crepuscular, not nocturnal, which is also what I thought they were at first. But they are most active at dawn and dusk as Babybunnies mentioned;).

Make sure you check out our awesome Library in your free time, you will learn tons, I know I did! If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the main forums, where more will likely see them;).

You sound like a great new bunny owner!:bunnydance:

Again, welcome and Enjoy!:D

Latest posts

Back