Welcome home to "Sir" Jacob :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EileenH

Reaction score
Hi all - I think this is the proper section for this.

I adopted a new bunny yesterday :) For those of you who remember me, I had a NZW, Gulliver, who passed away from lymphoma a few weeks ago. Missing having a rabbit, I perused Petfinder and came across Sir, from Hug-a-Bunny in NJ. After a week's worth of thinking and talking to his foster mom, we met him yesterday and brought him him.

He is a nervous bunny; no way to know what his story was but he was found wandering around a meat & poultry farm; someone took him home & kept him in a dog crate in their yard for a few months, then surrendered him to a local shelter. The rescue found out & took him out, and he has been in foster care for 4 months. He is very sweet, but very shy and nervous. I have some trust training to do, although he lets me pet him & I only brought him home last night.
Without further ado, below meet "Sir", who we will be calling Jacob.

His Petfinder photo, that made me want to know more..
Petfinderphoto.jpg

His foster mom, Jamie, and me upon meeting yesterday:
EileenJamieSir2.jpg

Me & my husband Tom, and our new bun, now called Jacob:
EileenTomSirJacob1.jpg

At home:
EileenJacob.jpg

Chilling out in his litter box:
Sleepinginlitterbox.jpg

As I said, he is a little nervous being handled, and after reading up on some of the trust training threads I am going to back up a bit and just sit with him.

It brings up a lot of emotions, getting a new bun. I am happy to have a bunny in my life and home again, and glad to share our home with him. I know he will settle in and be comfortable; we have a very quiet and structured homelife, which I know he will thrive in. It's just hard to miss the one you lost and begin a new life..y'know?

It didn't take more than 15 seconds for him to start popping around his ex-pen and explore. One of my cats & he touch noses, which is pretty cute.

As he settles in and gets more comfortable, get ready for more pics!! I just wanted to share, and introduce my new boy. The rescue's vet estimated him at about 3 years old.

Aww he's adorable! I love Californian's, my next rabbit will be one of those :) I hope he starts warming up soon!

Oh my goodness he is ADORABLE. I can see why you wanted him.

That's a nice set up he has.

I'm looking forward to more pictures,and stories of Jacob.

Susan:inlove:

The first words out of my mouth when I saw his PetFinder pic was, "Awe, what a cutie!!!" I am able to see why you had to find out more information about him. He was waiting for you, you that don't you? I really do believe they choose us, not the other way around. He just needed you to see his pic because he had everything else arranged... ;)

I hope you enjoy your new little man. He looks like he will be lots of fun! :biggrin2:

Thank you everybody; he is doing really good! Last night about 9PM, he started running around his ex-pen and did a few binkies - I couldn't believe it, in the first 24 hours. He is still shy with us but he really likes his ex-pen.I gave him a cardboard box with a cutout to hide if he wants, but so far all he wants to do is play with it :)

And..this morning when I went to feed him, he jumped out of his litterbox to the front of the cage to get the food. I couldn't believe it.

Tomorrow I am home all day, so I am going to open the cage and if he wants to come out, he can come out and explore, that way he will figure out the way in and way out with no pressure.

I should start a blog for him so I can remember this journey..

Eileen, I'm so glad you found another bunny! Jacob is adorable. Isn't it weird getting used to a new bunny? I had my first rabbit, Cinnabun, for 7 years. After he died, I had to wait 6 years to get Rory. Even 6 years later, at first all I could think of was Cinnabun when I saw Rory and handled him. Aside from the emotions it brought up, the two bunnies looked very different (even the little things like toenail color) and it was just odd at first. I'm sure things will feel more normal with Jacob soon and I hope he helps you heal from Gulliver. When Tallulah died, I didn't really start to recover (her death hit me extremely hard) until I got Phoebe several months later. Another bunny is a good thing :)

"Isn't it weird getting used to a new bunny?"
==========================================================

Yes..thank you so much for saying that.. Everything with Gulliver happened so fast; 5 weeksfrom the first sign something was off until he was gone. The area where the ex-pen was, it just looked wrong.When I started looking at Petfinder and local rescues(just curiously), we looked at another one and it wasn't the one for us. Then we met "Sir" and I just felt that our home would be a good home for him.

He has settled in really well. He runs up to us to be petted and for treats. He binkies around the house & runs laps around the ex-pen so fast I don't know how he does it.When he stands up to get a treat, heis really good at staying standing up!
But it is an adjustment; Gulliver was a lazy bunny who loved to be held and would lie on the couch for hours. Jake..no picking up or laying around with him, but he adores being petted. Gulliver wore his personality out there for everyone to see; Jake is shy but shows once he is comfortablehe's great. On the flip side, Gulliver was a stasis bunny that always had me in a state of frenzy; Jake seems to have apretty stable gut.It's all new, and brings up a lot of emotions, including guilt.

I know it will take time, and if he is this affectionate with us in 1 week, I am sure there will be more to come!He definitely helps the healing process; the house was so bare and sad and though this is all new, he does make us laugh.

Here are some pictures I took over the weekend. The one under the chair, he is not hiding, he explores everywhere and I caught him here (after climbing out from behind the curio cabinet..)
Exploringunderchair.jpg

Just being cute:
Jakesquishing.jpg

Relaxing:
Relaxing-1.jpg

After a hard day exploring, out like a light!:
Sleepyrabbit.jpg

Thanks everybody! I'm sure there will be lots more to share as we get to know each other, and noplace better to share it than with you guys who understand.

Latest posts

Back