Weird tiny flies in rabbit housing area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Location: When I researched Cuterebra/bot flies, they say it's common near farm animals, however, I do not live anywhere close to a farm so I would be careful regardless if you do choose to let your bun out. There is also a higher chance of contact (the larvae sticking to your bunny's fur, and eventually burrowing once the egg comes in contact with moisture and warm temperature ie. your bun licking her or himself clean), so I would not let them out when the grass is still wet if you do choose to let them out. I regretted letting my bunny out I wish she is still here.

Checking your bunny: You would check for lumps on your rabbit, that lump would have a hole where the parasite comes out to breathe. If you ever see something crawling out, do NOT try to pull it out as doing so will cause it to release toxic chemicals that can shock your bun and I've read that bunnies have died because of that. Before knowing about checking for lumps, I had no idea what was wrong with my bunny and she had a nose bleed so that may also be one of the symptoms...you could tell she was not well, she was a lively and happy bunny always licking you and hopping nd then she stopped eating and pooping :( Take them to the vet if you find a lump like that, google probably has a better photo of how that looks like. Hopefully this doesnt happen to any bunny in the world!!!

When I have to check the rear-end I typically grab the scruff of the neck and hold the back end and place it and its back on my stomach and do a quick check. They are in this position for about 45 seconds-1 minute. This seems the easiest way but make sure you support their back, it might be easier for you to sit down and flip him over holding the scruff in your lap to make sure you support his back. Just make sure you don't grab his ears! I always try to check everything as quickly as possible to try to stress them out the least. I know I am going to get crap for saying grab by the scruff, but this is what works for me and my rabbits don't throw themselves around when I do this, but when I do it any other way and I always ensure they don' t hurt themselves in the process and try to make it as quick and efficient as possible.

I know I am going to get crap for saying grab by the scruff
Really? The person we got our bun from told us specifically to grab the bun by scruff and then support his bum. It didn't work out for us as he kept wiggling and bending his back while protesting so we learned to pick him up from the scruff and extra upper bum crease of skin ( if i am spelling it right and if it makes sense) he calmed down a bit but was still fussy so i learned to just quickly place him flat on my body for support. He seemed content with that.

But does anyone have an idea why my bun loves running off into spruces? These have a teeny network-y system so maybe that's the cause?

I regularly use a diluted water and white vinegar to clean hutches. Gets rid of germs and smell and bacteria. Like after we deworm. We want a safe way to clean hutches. So now I’m hooked on the vinegar water. It’s great. Gets rid of all kinds of yucks

No problem with holding by the scruff. Seriously that’s what animals do in the wild. Pick them up and support the bumm. I lift on forearm and usually. Usually it works

On scuffing: I’m not sure about rabbits but for cats, scruffing is never a good idea, and you can seriously hurt a cat by lifting it from its scruff. Only a mother cat knows how to scruff kittens without hurting them, and adult cats are so heavy that they can suffocate from hanging from their scruff! You can scruff them a bit to restrain them so you don’t get bit but it’s very frowned upon in the veterinary community.

For my buns, I take one hand and slot my thumb and forefinger across their chest and under their armpits, and then use my other hand to scoop up their bum and then lift them up. From there , if I sit down I can have them in my lap and use my hand under their bum to curve them so I can see between their legs. If they start kicking out, flip them back over, or use the hand that’s been freed from the bum by having them rest on your legs to press down on their feet and give them something to push against.

E753CDB6-9167-4FB0-B383-EBDC047868A3.jpeg
^someone clipping Delilah’s nails at a grooming booth. Delilah has pretty much no chill whatsoever but tolerates this rather well. As long as you let them keep their heads upright and don’t lie them down flat on their backs they seem less scared. This woman has Delilah’s front legs held together in her one hand but still has some free fingers to steady her foot.

Flies: Sciaridae, or fungus gnats, are a problem I’ve had before in my apartment. I’m on the 9th floor so we rarely get bugs, but they came in with some potted plants. I had that under control and we only saw one or two... until one day there were like 3-4... and the next day there were 10-20... and the day after that there were HUNDREDS. Absolutely SWARMING.
FE46507E-CA02-4DCB-A022-32D16907B5E5.jpeg

Fungus gnats like moist environments and eat decomposing material, which makes them harmless to bunnies but drives humans ABSOLUTELY BONKERS. They ignore vinegar traps that would catch fruit flies, and they are attracted to the moisture in your mouth, nose, and eyes.

It turns out, I had a small garbage bin I used when cleaning out the litter box. And the one day, I’d been cleaning out the litter and the bag wasn’t completely full, so I didn’t want to waste it and toss it half-empty. So I put the lid on the garbage bin and left it.

Well, the process of decomposition releases moisture, which condensed on the underside of the lid and walls of the bin. Moisture and decomposing material: perfect for fungus gnats. I originally thought they were coming from the litter boxes until I began cleaning them, opened the bin, and a CLOUD of bugs came out.

I completely cleaned out the litter boxes, soaked them with vinegar, wiped down everything with lots more vinegar, and vacuumed up all the flies. The bin got banished outside. The next day, no more flies.

Latest posts

Back