Weird stomach

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hok9

Reaction score
I have a bunny that we got about 2 weeks ago. When we got her she was skinny and kinda sick. She is doing better, but her stomach feels like a water balloon. Can this be normal? She was malnutritioned when she came home and ate for the first three or so days, do i know that that would make her plump up a little bit but compared to my other buns she has a soft stomach.

Also could this be pregnancy? She has been less active then the others and is still very shy.

Have you kept her separate from your other buns?

I don't know what is best to suggest, however, several things spring to mind that could potentially be catching, and so your other buns might be at risk unless you have quaratined her.

She is seperate from 3 and the other lives in the same cage, Yet is completley healthy and hasnt changed since we got the new bun. Im am hoping it nothing major. Ill have a chance to take pics tomorrow.

One more question, out of curiosity. How can you tell if a bunny is blind?

One f my concerns was parasites which may not show up in the others instantly. I would suggest that you start taking strict quarantining procedures in relation to the three boys, so that there is no cross contamination. Hopefully it's nothing like that, but it's horrid when a new bunny comes in and potentially infects your whole crew with something.

They have had very little contact with each other. they have their own floor time hours and everything. I havent heard of many bunnies getting parasites out here though. I think japanese people are crazy like that.
When she came home she did have diareha for the first 2 days, and you could tell from down the hall. It was not pleasant but that went away after she got some alfalfa pellets and hay in her.

I think im also concerend about her lack of wanting to come out of the cage. This concerns me as all of my buns race out of the cage as soon as i open their door.

Flashy wrote:
One f my concerns was parasites which may not show up in the others instantly. I would suggest that you start taking strict quarantining procedures in relation to the three boys, so that there is no cross contamination. Hopefully it's nothing like that, but it's horrid when a new bunny comes in and potentially infects your whole crew with something.
A swollen belly is a symptom of parasites. I can't find the link right now describing this but in the meantime your rabbit needs to see a vet.

It could be a gas reaction or something since she's not used to being fed so well. I say as long as there are things going in and coming out (eating, drinking, pooping, peeing), and she's not lethargic, she's ok. What is her activity level? Does she run about at all? It's possible she's not comfortable with the "out of the cage" area yet since she's newer. However, not moving around much is not good. For instance, if she's out of the cage, will she move around or just sit there?

When she is out of the cage she will run around for about 10 mins then tries to find somewhere to hide.

Hmmm...

Is there any probiotic available made for rabbits, dogs, or horses? If it were my bunny the first thing I would do is find something called Bene-Bac. It contains several different microorganisms that commonly populate a rabbit's GI tract. Giving this can help the gut work properly. This site has the info on what's in it: http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/assets/label_info/4157.htm

It's made for young dogs, actually, so you may be able to find something like it.

If something like that isn't available, just keep an eye on her and make sure she's getting enough hay. It's probably just a bit of stress-related GI upset that will pass.

Latest posts

Back