Weird sore on back? *pics*

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadley.

Reaction score
hi guys..

trying to figure out this weird round tough scabby sore on one of our buns.

It is worth to note he had an ivermectin injection a few weeks ago, but we
can't remember exactly where he was injected (so this could be unrelated..)

It doesn't seem to be healing very well..been there about 10 days now.

EED0D289-B163-4903-B5B2-52EC61AB27AE-12936-00000DE1EF45642A.jpg

BCEB8277-8D75-4CCA-AA93-84EDB968040E-12936-00000DE1FA0D99F9.jpg

74E2314B-36B6-4C11-8AFB-B641E30192E3-12936-00000DE20456E5A1.jpg

There isn't any puss or anything although the flash makes it look like the scab is pussy in the last pic.
Notice how there seemed to be hair loss/shedding around it. His coat is molting right now also..

Any ideas?

It looks like an abcess and it needs veterinary attention as soon as possible. A vet will probably clean it up and suture it closed however the sooner the better, the longer an abcess sits the more dificult it is to get it to heal

You sure? My horses have had abscess', and this guy had one removed from his jaw when his previous owner had him.. they are not tough and scabby from my experience.

I could very well be wrong (I've still learning), we've had a few abcesses at the clinic I work at and sometimes they are hard (one dog has abcesses under both eyes and they get hard and scabby constantly and refuse to heal) but alot of the time they are kinda soggy. Does it feel soft around the edges or feel like there is fluid inside? How big is it? I do think it needs vet care because its been over a week and hasn't healed and the edges look so red.

The scab part itself feels hard like a thick scab would- almost wart like.

It doesn't feel like there's any fluid trapped, and there's no heat coming off it either.

It's maybe a little larger than 1cm in diameter.

I think my mum is a little weary about jumping in the car to the vet cause we had all 3 of our buns treated with ivermectin shots this month for what we THOUGHT was fur mites (it wasn't...), and our oldest bun got very lethargic from the shot and passed away 4 days after his first injection :(

I work in a vet clinic and it does look like a reaction to the ivermectin. I would call your vet ask ask where the injection was. It may need to stay open to heal, but antibiotics may be needed. Bunnies, well all animals am go septic fast if wounds are left untreated.

He injected all of them in the lower back area, which is where the sore is, we just can't pinpoint it from memory.

Thanks for the replies

Your vet should have it written down in your buns file... We record EVERYTHING at my vet clinic, one of the most important things being what and where things were injected.

A visit to the vet is defintely warranted.

The vet I work for looked at the pictures and said it looks like a reaction to the Ivermectin and it needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Any injection of any product can cause a multitude of skin reactions, from abscesses, inflammation, scabbing, hair loss and even tumors (though probably pretty rare in rabbits). the more 'depo' the product (meaning it has a long acting effect and hangs around in the tissues longer) the more likely it is to cause a tissue reaction. Ivermectin is a pretty oily substance (usually dissolved in propylene glycol) and has some depo effect, so it does not surprise me that a reaction to this product has occurred (still, most injections of Ivermectin will not cause this in most rabbits... you just never know). Rabbits have extra sensitive skin to begin with, so these things are more likely to happen in them than I'm most other pets. Glad it wend away on its own.

I can't see the pictures, but from my bunny experience... she gets bumps and sores from her injections (she gets one every other day) Sometimes it is caused by me possibly not putting the needle in fully, causing a bubble and sometimes it it simply from too many injections in the same area. I'm glad to hear your bun recovered quickly!

Latest posts

Back