weird pee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
Hmm... I feel like I post something in here everyday, but anyways...

Harvey's pee seems unusual to me. Usually it is thick in consistency even when spread out and dark yellowish color. Over the last day 1/2 it has been a thinner consistency more like water when spread out, and a dark brownish color when a lot of it is pooled in one spot. When spread out it is almost clear. Kinda weird description hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

The only thing that has changed in diet. habit, behavior etc. is the introduction of straw to his home in parts. NOT TO EAT! It is getting cold, and he likes to nest in it to keep warm. He DOES NOT EAT IT! I know for a fact, I have used this last year with him as well as my other bunny. Harvey does like to chew on it, but doesn't eat. I don't think it is affecting him, but might as well throw it out there!

rabbits have all variety of orangeish, brown reddish colorin their urine. you would need to be concerned with blood which would separate from the clearerurine and would not be evenly distributed in a pool of urine

And if you saw textural changes in the urine, the ones to worry about would be if it got sandy or gritty.

okay... I don't it is very very different than normal. I don't like it at all

Hi, okay I took a picture, um it's kind of gross, so just warning people!
Harvey's pee is normally a thick yellow/orange color.
Thanks so much for looking, it just seems very different/odd to me.

Again nothing has changed except the whole straw thing, and he does like to bite it, to cut in 1/2 but from as far as I can tell he doesn't eat it. But I guess he probably does ingest a bit because of that. Plus, used it last winter and did not have this affect.

No change in attitude, behavior, eating habits. Is possibly drinking a bit more water than usual. I am monitoring that.

Harveyspee002-1.jpg

So it's sort of a dark chocolate brown color.

Harveyspee006.jpg

It's very watery, rather than thick. So when spread out it's almost clear.

Harveyspee001-1.jpg

One more just for fun lol

I can easily take more/crop/zoom in if these don't work

Ok, if the color is dark red-orange, but it's still watery and not thick, it's probably just normal pee. What is that brown-tan chunky stuff in there?

Okay, I'm just nervous because this is just a drastic change from what it normally looks like.
There is No red in it. If you see red in there it's the light hitting the litter box, which is purple.

That's just pieces of poo. I had to move them out of the way, to get a good shot. It got wet from the pee, so that's the chunks you see.

Harveyspee006.jpg

I'm talking about the stuff circled in red. To me, it looks like wet newspaper and/or calcium buildup on the litterbox. The stuff in red is weird. The stuff circled in yellow--the watery stuff--is pee. It's a bit dark, but not out of the ordinary.

I use cardboard like from a think cardboard box as the liner of the litter box...
I didn't see any calcium buildup.
I don't know I don't really see anything wrong...

I could be wrong though. Maybe you could explain it better? Or I could take a clearer picture?

I see. I thought you may have used newspaper as liner, which wouldn't look like that does when wet. The fact that it's cardboard makes more sense. If you use newspaper, it can get all stuck to the bottom of the litter pan and gross with calcium (white chalky) deposits. If that was newspaper, it would be a ton of calcium on it. I think he's fine. Thanks for explanation.

Okay, and no thank you for taking the time to help me!:D

You're sure its pee and not mucus from around the poo?

Dehydrated bunnies have thick, dark pee. Some kidney issues will cause totally clear pee. 'Sludge' looks like toothpaste. And blood has red or dark colored sticky clots.

Otherwise, they have all ranges of colors and -- to an extent -- textures.

sas :?

I think the best way to really get a good shot, is if you were to go clean the litterbox thoroughly. Scrub it down, etc., no litter, then take another pic when Harvey goes again.
Then, infirmary mods & yourself will be able to compare it more easily.That may help narrow it down...

Latest posts

Back