Weird eating habit / excessive drooling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O0620

Reaction score
Whenever i give one of my bunnies salad to eat he drags it off into his hut and comes out with his entire fur all wet and sticky.
His entire chest and head is wet and sticky.
Ive tried cleaning him up a bit but im not sure how to get it out
Im not sure its anything imporant but ive read something about drooling online and im not sure this is the case since it never happens when he eats something else only with salad.

is it necessary to go to a vet with this?

Attachments

• Img_1_forum[1].jpg
    Img_1_forum[1].jpg
    216 KB · Views: 9
Have you watched him eat? Maybe limit access to the hut so you can watch him eat the veggies and see whats going on and why hes getting so wet!

Have you watched him eat? Maybe limit access to the hut so you can watch him eat the veggies and see whats going on and why hes getting so wet!
I havent yet since he tries to always eat alone but ill definitely give it a shot

Do you present veggies as large leaves? Rabbits who may not have the most effective bite due to malocclusion (for example) can find large pieces to be hard to manage, leading to a lot of maneuvering and "juicing" of the veggie while eating. See here for an example of the difference between large vs. small strip presentation:

I recommend cutting the salad up so it's easier to eat.

Do you present veggies as large leaves? Rabbits who may not have the most effective bite due to malocclusion (for example) can find large pieces to be hard to manage, leading to a lot of maneuvering and "juicing" of the veggie while eating. See here for an example of the difference between large vs. small strip presentation:

I recommend cutting the salad up so it's easier to eat.

thank you that does seem like a good idea ill give it a try with his dinner

Overgrown or misaligned teeth dig into a bunny's mouth more when eating soft food. The resistance of hay and chewing hard materials grinds the teeth down and can actually provide some relief. Bun will still eat the greens if he loves them -ie: it's worth the pain because it tastes so good!!

Think ice-cream headaches or enjoying spicy foods. We do it even though the consequences suck. We're all animals.

Back