weird clump of fur and skin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
ok this is a weird one...

When I woke up this morning, there was this little puffball of fur with a little bit of skin on it on the floor near Tony's cage (I don't keep him in there, but he jumps in and out for food, potty, etc). It looks like it came from his underside based on the coloring, kinda like a little chunk of tail. It's about the size of a cotton ball you'd use for your face.

So I flipped over the bun (tranced) and saw nothing wrong with his tail, belly, private area, etc. There was a little area on the top of his left thigh (that's what I'd call it on a human) that was bumpier than usual, like there might be some extra skin there. No blood but he didn't like me touching it (even more than he usually doesn't like me touching his legs). Not really very different than the other leg, but a bit bumpier.

So, could Tony have scraped off a tiny bit of skin and fur by accident on the wire of his cage? Could he have pulled this out on purpose? He lives by himself, so I know he hasn't gotten into any fights. If this is torn skin, why is there no blood? I can't find anything on fur/skin clumps in the archives or other websites.

He wasn't really more upset than he usually is after being tranced, and wasn't making any pain noises. He's been really happy and active lately too.

I do plan on taking him to the vet very very soon, btw. I just wanted to know if anyone had an idea of what it could be or if they'd seen something like it before.

I can post pics too if that would help...:?

If it's just the top layer of skin, it usually doesn't bleed much. I've already found that out when Fey got her stomach ripped open by Mocha in a bonding session.

I'd check him over a second time, maybe get someone to help you so you can get a better look at his leg. If you find the spot, you can put some plain Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment on it. Not the Neosporin Plus, the extra ingredient is bad for rabbits to lick.

Depending on how it looks, Tony might not really need to go to a vet. Although rabbit skin is fragile and also seems to deglove (pull away from underlying tissue) easily. He might need a stitch or two to keep it in place.:?

My love to Tony! :bunnyheart

so we turned him over and i found a scab on his leg. it's pretty long (1-2 inches) but completely scabbed over. i put some neosporin (the ok kind) on it, so we'll see how that goes. i might take him to the vet soon anyway, he's due for his annual in march.

my poor baby:?

Aww...poor Tony!! :(

And poor you! What an awful thing to find...and horrible to find that your baby hurt himself...:(

Hugs to you both...:hug::hug:

Rosie*

P.S. Keep us updated, ok?

here are some pics from tonight:
the skin and fur clump I found
Picture08017.jpg

Picture08018.jpg

time for a trance:
Picture08001.jpg

and two pics of the wound--it's a bit crusty from bunny spit and neosporin i think...
Picture08012.jpg

Picture08010.jpg

finally a cheez-it or two as a treat for my poor boy (with help from the boyfriend who Tony has decided is more fun than I am!:X)
Picture08014.jpg

any opinions? is it serious enough to take him to the vet? what should I look for to see if it gets infected?:?

Do what Naturestee suggested with the Neosporin, until you can get to a vet. I think it will be fine, but you have to keep an eye on it.

Kudos to such an awesome Bun Dad!:bunnydance:

That looks kinda long and a bit deep, is it? Neosporin for sure, consult with your vet on the rest. Good Luck, should be okay though.;)

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Do what Naturestee suggested with the Neosporin, until you can get to a vet. I think it will be fine, but you have to keep an eye on it.

Kudos to such an awesome Bun Dad!:bunnydance:

That looks kinda long and a bit deep, is it? Neosporin for sure, consult with your vet on the rest. Good Luck, should be okay though.;)
Yeah, agreed...neosporin and vet consult. :)

:hug: to you both...

Rosie*

That looks like what happened to Zeke, except his was in a more fragile and private area...

His wound had to be stitched up. Pain meds, antibiotic cream and antibiotics by mouth (I switched to injections after a week because it was easier for me and him because he didn't like the taste). He also has to wear a collar so he can't lick his wound.

Definitly keep the wound gooped up with polysporin/neosporin. If the wound is not too big, then he'll probably be okay. I agree that it would be a good idea to have a vet take a look and probably give it a good cleaning too.

--Dawn

The only thing I have to add....is to check the cage over and see if you can find and repair the wire he hurt himself on.

Sending good thoughts and healing vibes!

thanks guys!! it's getting better everyday, and I'll be calling the vet tomorrow (today's a holiday) to have him checked out!:biggrin2:

Poor widdle Tony!!!!

He's found another male to bond with - dont' worry - they all still need their Mamas!

Get well little guy!

*he's so cute! look at that little bugger!*

LOL, BBB!!:biggrin2: I was surprised they got along so well, as the BF is used to dogs, and likes to "play" with Tony, which means "chase at him until he jumps up and binkies away!" Here I was tiptoeing around King Tony so as to not bother him, and the BF finds out that he loves playing chase!:biggrin2:

So the vet visit is Friday, and we're going to the UW vet hospital/clinic thing! Should be interesting to go to a vet school as opposed to a private clinic! Until then, nightly applications of neosporin.

I have tried looking for the place he got himself hurt on the cage, and can't find any dried blood, or any really pokey wires. It's curious, but I'll keep looking.

So the vet gave Tony a clean bill of health (bloodwork pending)!! The wound has healed really well and is almost totaly fine. I still have to figure out what he got his leg cut on though...:?

On a side note, taking your pet to a vetrinary teaching hospital is really different!! Tony first got examined by a vet student with a pharmacy student watching, then they came back and brought along the vet doctor and another observer person! It was a swarm of people around my little bun! He was a dollbaby for most of it, and only nipped a bit when they burrito'd him. I got to see his back teeth too, which was interesting.

Back