Weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoh

Reaction score
Somebody told me, here on the message board that buns aren't full grown until they are a year old. We were told that Lucy is a mini rex and is 10 weeks old today and she should get to be about 3.5 pounds. So assuming all of these facts are true, what does it mean at 10 WEEKS old that she already weighs 3 pounds and she isn't fat? Over the rest of the year she is only going to gain 1/2 pound?????? Doesn't seem quite right tome. Please tell me she isn't going to be a giant bunny! :shock:

Does this seem right?

Thanks,

Joy

3 sounds like an awful lot for a 10 week old mini rex. At the rescue I volunteer for, we have quite a few full grown mini rexes right now, and all weigh about 3.5 - 4 pounds.

Where did you get her from? If it's from a breeder, then I'm sure she is a mini rex. However, if it's from a pet store or from just someone who was adopting her out, I'm wondering if she's not a standard Rex.

Can you post a picture of her?

It is also possible to get mini rexes with a non-dwarfing gene. They get bigger than a mini, but not as big as a standard.

The age may also be wrong, and the bun might be older than stated.

I find most buns reach close to their adult weight by 4 months, and then fill out their frame for another couple months.

At 3 pounds at 10-12 weeks I would say the bun would be over 4 pounds as an adult. So you may just have a larger mini rex, as they can range from 3 to 4.5 pounds.

--Dawn

With dwarf rabbits, there's a 25% chance of getting a peanut (double dwarfing gene, most don't survive past a couple days), a 25% chance of getting non-dwarfing (they are larger, I had one in my very first litter, and she was close to 5 pounds and her siblings where normal size), and then a 50% chance of getting normal sized buns with just one dwarfing gene.

Now, I may have the numbers mixed up, but from what I've read and from what I can remember, that's how it works with dwarfs.

I wouldn't worry too much about your bunny getting too big.She's not going to be a giant, just not an iddy bitty 2-3 pounds, more like 4-5 pounds.

--Dawn

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Can you post a picture of her?
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR:#f8f8f8"
DSC01087.jpg
This is Lucy with 6 wk old Gigi.
DSC01076.jpg
Lucy in an Oxbow hay bag.
DSC01089.jpg
Lucy in Fisher Price doll house.

I tried to post pics that would give you some size comparisons...Gigi, doll house and hay bag, not sure if it helps or not.

Thanks,
Joy

She definitly looks older than 10 weeks tome. Most likely between 3-4 months old. From what I can see, she should be a normal mini rex.

She'll most likely fill out a little bit and top out in another two months.

--Dawn

PS: moving this to Rabbitry section for you, so more experienced breeders can give their opinions.

She is adorable! She does looktoo big to be 10 weeks. Did you get her from a pet store? She may be older than that.

I have two mini rexes Im fostering right now (both girls) who are full grown and both weigh about 5 lbs.

Nope, didn't get her from a pet store, we bought her at Tractor Supply..a feed/farm supply store. They weres elling them but gave me the name of the breeder and said she did have papers but those cost extra. We didn't care about the papers so we didn't get them. I did call the breeder though, he said she was born 1/07/07, her mother is a caster mini rex and weighs 3.5, he father is a tri colored mini rex and weighs 3.5-3.75pounds. Sound right?

Thanks
Joy

hmm thats odd that she would be so big if she really is that young. I guess you'll just have to wait and see, maybe she will get bigger than mom and dad? Im not a breeder so Im really not sure how that works.

I see youre in Michigan though, me too! TSC is a great place for litter. They sell something called Equine Fresh (a wood pellet for horses) and it works great and is very cheap!

That bunny sure doesn't look 10 weeks old. :?

At 4 months my Holland Lop (roughly same size of a mini rex) was 3.5lbs and she is now 4.75 lbs. She didn't stop growing until she was 7 or 8 months old.

aurora369 wrote:
It is also possible to get mini rexes with a non-dwarfing gene. They get bigger than a mini, but not as big as a standard.
I didn't know that either. I wonder if that's what Berri was then???:ponder:Ah well, I'll never really know exactly what she was.

Haley wrote:
I see youre in Michigan though, me too! TSC is a great place for litter. They sell something called Equine Fresh (a wood pellet for horses) and it works great and is very cheap!

Thanks, I will have to look the next time we are there. The closest one is in Gaylord and I am in Petoskey, it takes about 40minutes. Where are you?

Joy

Back