Weight on a Jr. Doe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sox726

Reaction score
I have a Jr. Doe that ii 4 months 7 days and I fed her to well I think! LOL. She currently weighs 4.3 pounds, how hard is it to get weight off and could she be done growing? Should I pet her out or keep her for a brood doe? Her father is 3.1 pounds and her mother was about 4 pounds.

Sox726 wrote:
I have a Jr. Doe that ii 4 months 7 days and I fed her to well I think! LOL. She currently weighs 4.3 pounds, how hard is it to get weight off and could she be done growing? Should I pet her out or keep her for a brood doe? Her father is 3.1 pounds and her mother was about 4 pounds.
:wave:

I know nothing about showing but I am curious. This was a quick search for weight.

Weight Limits and showroom classes according to ARBA's Standard of Perfection:
  • Senior Bucks- 6 months of age and older, weight 4½ lbs to 6½ lbs
  • Senior Does- 6 months of age and older, weight 3lbs to 6lbs
  • Junior Bucks and Does- Under 6 months, weight 3lbs to 6lbs
The Mini Lop rabbit is classified as a medium sized rabbit. Senior Bucks and Does must be six months of age and older and weigh no more than 6 1/2 lbs. Ideal weight is 5 1/2 lbs. Juniors Bucks and Does must be under six months of age and weigh less than 6 lbs. The various colors within a variety are not judged separately. They are divided for judging into two groups, classifications, solid and broken pattern.

When is your show? I don't think it's a good idea to put a bunny on a diet to make a show. If she's show quality, she will definitely be brood or pet quality.

I'd see where she is at at the time of a show to make a decision. But as long as the fat is not snacks, which I doubt it, she's just going to be a big girl.

K :)

I should have put on my post that she is a mini rex and their TOP weight limit is 4.5 pounds. Jr. up 2-3 1/4 pounds. She can be shown this weekend as a Sr. and she is a nice rabbit, I wouldn't starve her to make weight, I think I've just fed her too much and maybe need to cut back. But maybe it won't make a difference anyway.:apollo:

Cut back her feed, she is a little heavy, did you weigh her after her eating or before? You can always not feed her the morning of the show an recheck her weight before you leave or at the show just before you enter her.
It is permissible to show in a higher class, just not a lower one.

Thanks, It was really cold here last week and I gave her a lot of hay, I have cut her back a little on her daily pellets and no hay this week, so we'll see what she weighs at the show. It's a little hard on my scale to get an accurate weight in the cold since it is a digital. Thanks for the information!:big wink:

I might be wrong about this. But in my experience, especially with my mini rex they seem to chunk up on the pellets. The hay helps them to feel full, without adding the pounds. This works great for us. I have two juniors that looked a bit chunky to me at three months. they where weighing 3.3lbs and 3lbs. But they had bellies on them, and you could feel the extra fat on them. They went to only 1/8 cup of pellets a day and free choice hay for a week. Now I have them at 1/3 cup pellets and free choice hay and I think they are looking good. I usually free feed my juniors till a bit after 3 months, but I may not do that with my mini rex in the future.

Latest posts

Back