Weight loss invalving skin seeming to get smaller

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK Bunnies

Reaction score
My big female bunny Kali is losing weight fast. I don't know if it's just that she's eattingbetter or if she's not so healthy. :?

Normally she has a roll of skinjust above her tail (we call it a bunny butt-roll). And it's getting smaller. She also has a big bunch of skin that hangs down under her chin. I've seen allot of rabbits with that extra neck skin, but her's seems to be getting smaller!! Is this normal. We had wondered if they were a little over weight when we adopted them.

I'd hate for any of my buns to be sick, but Teacups never had extra skin. So I don't know what to think. We don't have scale to weigh her on, and even if we did our vet didn't write down how much they weighed at there last check-up. Stupid doctor!!!!:XSo I don't have anything to compare it to.

Any incite would be wonderful,

-TK

How has her diet changed? The skin flap on her neck is called a dewlap. Fey had one when I first rescued her, but it disappeared over time due to better diet.

I usually judge a rabbit's condition by how they feel over their back, hips, and ribs. Sometimes the back is a bit bony even when the rabbit is fat because there isn't enough muscle, which just means they need to get out and play more. You should be able to feel the ribs with just a little pressure on the skin. If they're really easy to feel she's too skinny, if you have to press through a bunch of fat then she's too chubby. Bony hips also means she's too skinny. You should be able to feel them, but you shouldn't be impaled by them, LOL!

Latest posts

Back