Weeping eye after immunisation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowser

Reaction score
I took my bunny to the vet today for his shots. I have only had him for just over a week. About 2 hours after we got home I noticed his eye was very wet, and glassy looking. He is very lethargic and just not himself.

It is hot today, so I brought him inside early. I wonder if the heat is making him sleepy or if he is having a reaction to the immunisation.

He has eaten, although not as much as usual. He is not following me around like he usually does, and there were no binkies when he got to come inside, he just wants to sleep.

I am very worried:(

Are there some things I should be looking out for? Is this normal?

It's normal for a rabbit to feel a little under the weather after getting their shots, just like we do. Some rabbits will become a little letharginc and not as hungry and some wont feel any side-effects at all. But if he stops eating and pooping then i would take him to the vet. Not sure what the weepy eye could be. Possibly something irritating his eye. If you are concerned though, then i would take him to the vet for peace of mind.

Thank you for the replies.

He is still eating a little, and pooping. His eye does seem better too.

Phew! I nearly flew into a panic. The vet never said anything about the possibility of him feeling unwell after.

I will keep an eye on him. He is so sleepy and a bit grumpy, so I will leave him be for the night.

I cant wait to have my little bunny back :(

LaylaLop wrote:
On a side note, what vaccines do rabbits need? I've never had a vet tell me rabbits need to be vaccinated, dewormed under certain conditions, yes, vaccinated no.
Well, if you're in the US, you probably don't need to get your bunnies vaccinated. I believe they're talking about the Myxomatosis vaccine, which is in certain other countries needed.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Well, if you're in the US, you probably don't need to get your bunnies vaccinated. I believe they're talking about the Myxomatosis vaccine, which is in certain other countries needed.
We don't have the Myxomatosis vaccine in Australia but there is a rabbit Calici virus which there is a vaccine for here. Hopefully we'll get the Myxo vaccine one day soon.

Is there no Myxomatosis in the US?

I don't live in Australia, I'm in New Zealand :)

My bunny had the cylap VHD vaccine. Bunny has had a really rough night. I actually didn't think he was going to make it.

I did some reading on the vaccine and it has a lot of negative press. Bunny was so lethargic he couldn't walk, and was grinding his teeth like he was in pain. Usually he has a constant purr and is always following me around happy as, so it was a real contrast in behaviour. He has come out of his cage for the first time in over 24 hours and can manage about 10mins and then is asleep again,

I wont give him this vaccine again. I see there are others used.

I don't know much about rabbits or vaccines, so I am wondering how necessary this is? I live in suburbia 10 mins from the city in a back section that is fully fenced and surrounded by 5 houses.

I'm going to do some reading on the vaccine etc

hmmmm ....seems like it is very necessary, apparently the disease was introduced to NZ illegally by farmers to control the wild rabbit over population, there have been lots of reports oflocal bunniescontracting the disease, and it seem to be on the rise.

Bummer

no Myxomatosis though

Latest posts

Back