Weaning Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeltonB

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sophia’s five babies will be seven weeks old on April 30, and I’ve got a few questions on what to expect…

1. Everything I’ve read says the weaning window is between six and eight weeks. I was planning on placing three of the babies in their own pen after seven weeks and leaving the two smallest with Sophia for another week, where hopefully they can get the benefit of her undivided attention for nursing. Does this sound okay?

2. Also, once all the babies are in their own pen, will Sophia just stop producing milk?

3. I hope to get Sophia in for her spay as soon as possible after the last babies move out. Any potential issues there?

4. Will Sophia “miss” her babies or will she be glad to have some alone time? Should I let them out together? Three have already been spoken for when they are weaned and will be going to new homes, but right now two will still be with us.

5. Finally, at what age are the babies capable of reproducing? I certainly don’t want any more surprise litters, so I need to know when to make sure everyone is separated by gender.

Thank you!

Kelton

1. Sounds like a good plan. We usually leave the littlest in with mom if we need to separate also but usually when we move out babies we just go ahead and separate by gender too.

2. Mom will stop lactating once the babies stop nursing

3. I'm not sure

4. None of my mom as get depressed when they don't have babies. You can let them out together but just watch out for disagreements. My moms are pretty laid back about their own babies but some also aren't. It just depends.

5. Babies can reproduce by 12 weeks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back