Weak, drinking and peeing a lot.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GertieP

Reaction score
Our sweet Rocco continues to keep us on our toes. In the past week or so he has been drinking more than usual, eating plenty and peeing and pooping a lot. He's started to pee outside the box. There is only one rabbit vet anywhere in our area and it took 2 weeks to get an appointment for him on Tuesday for an issue with him losing hair in his chin (it's constantly wet from drinking so much). The new issue developed in the meantime. He never lays on his side and a few days ago he did so I got nervous but he seemed fine. Then 2 days ago he flopped for the first time. Wasn't sure what to think - I had been giving him lots of attention and massages and created a new forage box for him so I thought he was just happy. This morning he did not want to get up and was only a little tempted by pellets then he fell trying to get into his hay box and could not get up. I scooped him up and held him then put him in a small box with a towel and fed him a little piece of apple which he gobbled down. Now he is eating hay. I called all the vets and emergency hospitals within 2 hours and none have anyone on staff today that treats rabbits. So it's up to me to keep him healthy til Tuesday. Any advice would be very appreciated!

UPDATE: Rocco is eating his hay and drinking water but he is obviously in pain. I was able to talk to the vet but not meet with him. He advised giving him arnica in his water for the pain but that will take a while to take effect. Has anyone had luck with other pain relief methods that might work more quickly?

Am not familiar with arnica. When our bunny is in pain, vet gives us meloxicam to give her, which is an anti inflammatory. Not sure what falling over means. Hope he is all better soon.

Arnica? That endangered plant growing in europe, that my grandparents used on cows (I was on the high pasture with them as a kid during summer, pretty much exactly like Heidi)? Where would you get that? But altough it is said to have quite some medical properties, pain relief imo isn't really on the list. Let alone the potential such herbal drugs actually have.

Anyway, Medirabbit lists a lot of working analgetics:
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm
When I didn't have Meloxicam at hand I used Ibuprofen, did the job.

That falling over, that doesn't sound pain related at first glance, inner ear infections can cause balance problems.

Arnica? That endangered plant growing in europe, that my grandparents used on cows (I was on the high pasture with them as a kid during summer, pretty much exactly like Heidi)? Where would you get that? But altough it is said to have quite some medical properties, pain relief imo isn't really on the list. Let alone the potential such herbal drugs actually have.

Anyway, Medirabbit lists a lot of working analgetics:
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm
When I didn't have Meloxicam at hand I used Ibuprofen, did the job.

That falling over, that doesn't sound pain related at first glance, inner ear infections can cause balance problems.
Arnica is a well known homeopathic that is used for pain. I used it myself for arthritis. Available at any health food store. It was suggested by my vet who uses homeopathic remedies as well as medicinal ones.

A rabbit drinking and urinating substantially more than usual, can be an indication of a very serious health problem like kidney problems, dental issues, etc. Try your best to keep food in him and keep him hydrated, and get him into the vet as soon as you can.

Back