We might be getting a new rescue bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dittani

Reaction score
Nala needed a front tooth extracted the other day, and whilst we were putting her in the pre-op cages, I saw the most adorable, tiny Rex in the cage next to her that had both of his back legs broken with steel pins all over the place. All of his little whiskers had been singed off :( . Despite all of this, he happily but carefully scooched his way over to my hand and nuzzled it, then layed his head down for me to pet him and started licking my hand. :) My fiance agreed that he was the friendliest bun we'd ever met, in spite of his horrible condition and past treatment by humans.
I asked the nurse what happened to him and she said that he was a rescue bunny. They don't know how it happened (though obviously an abuse case), but they were looking for a home for the little guy.

This may sound strange, but I've never had a problem reconciling myself to the fact that I cannot adopt a pet that i've seen; Every time I go to Petsmart, for instance, I go to the adoption center to give all of the kitties there some love, attention, a good scratch behind the ears and to remind them that one day, they'll be with someone who will make them the prince or princess of their castle. When I walk away from them, I think it's sad, yes, and I wish them the best but think no more of it.
With this little bunny, however, there was no way on earth I could stop thinking about him. I cried all the way home and for the next hour because he was just such an adorable little bunny who'd been through so much. It breaks my heart to think about it. Then my fiance said 'I think we're meant to be his new mum and dad'. (To be perfectly honest, I thought it all along, but I didn't want to say anything incase he didn't want another bun ;) ). We talked about it a lot and discussed the practicalities and problems of adopting a new bunny, especially one that will undoubtedly need many vet visits in the future, but we agreed that we were meant to be his parents.

When we went to pick Nala up, we told the vet that we had talked seriously about this, and would like to adopt the Rex. We told her that the only problem is that we're getting married in 2 weeks and going on the honeymoon straight after, so effectively wouldn't be able to adopt him for a month yet. She said that that works out perfectly, because she wouldn't dream of letting him out of her sight for at least 3 weeks! :bunnydance:
She did say that a few people were interested in adopting him, but she would be researching them very extensively, but we are top of the list already in that respect because she knows how much we love and spoil our bunnies rotten, and that we would be attentive to his special needs and take him to see her regularly.

So yeah, fingers crossed that we get him, k? :D

But does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share about adopting a special needs bunny? The vet says that he'll probably make a full recovery, perhaps with a limp, but he'll still need some rehabilitation. Anything you'd have to say would be very helpful :) !!

Congrats on your new family member! You sound like a perfect home for that bunny. Congrats on your up-coming wedding to! Have fun!

Bunny fufu, Buny Feefee

Oh wow!

That's such a touching story!

I don't have any experience with special needs bunnies, but I'm sure we can all help you through it!

And make sure to take lots of pictures!

--Dawn

Oh this story just brightened my day. I really hope that you are able to adopt this little one..sounds like you would be the perfect mom and dad to make up for the horrble neglect and abuse she has suffered so far in her little life.

Breanna (bbgrl) just adopted a special needs bunny with splayed legs, and she is just a little doll. Its almost as though their handicap is compensated for by their loving personalities. Like they know what you're doing for them. Anyway, maybe she could comment on this one...

Please keep us posted. And bless you for wanting to take in a special needs :)

-Haley

Awe! Such a special little guy! I'm so glad you are looking into adopting him. I can't wait to finish school and get a steady job because I want to adopt special needs rabbits like that.

Ohh that is just wonderful and so lovely:),i really hope you get to make that little bunny as yours as he really does deserve a loving home,i think if that was me i would have to bring him home as well:)

I wish you all the best

cheryl

Aww! he sounds like such a sweetie! I hope you get him! ...And congratulations on your wedding. :)

Greta:biggrin and the Bun Boyz :brownbunny:brownbunny

You may want to check out some of my previous posts about how much I hate seeing Mini-Rexes in need of rescuing. They're the most awesome breed! They're so friendly, outgoing, activeand curious... they're the last bunnies I like seeing locked up and abandoned, or abused. They're 'people' bunnies that need to be in somebody's life! Rescuing Dill was the best move I ever made!

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15151&forum_id=7

Or check out the whole story on my Bunny Blog...

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11425&forum_id=6

It's really a drag about his broken legs... :(

But don't feel bad about his 'singed' whiskers, that's aRex thing. Most of them have thatfunny little half-whisker look.

sas :D, pipp :bunnydance:,dangerous dill :bunny17,radar &darry :toastingbunsand sherry :brownbunny the former foster bun

Yeah, Rex's don't really have whiskers at all. It's the way the fur has been bred. It's all under coat, and no gaurd hairs or very short gaurd hairs, can't remember which.

Wildfire doesn't really have any whiskers at all. So unless there is other fur singed, it's probably normal.

--Dawn

Definitely join the Disabled Rabbits group, they'll have some good ideas:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/disabledrabbits

:)

I agree with Pipp, Mini Rex's are totally people bunnies (and Rex's too, I would imagine, though I've had no experience with them). I have two rabbits, a Mini Rex and a Mini Lop mix. They love each other, but Rex will always be a human-oriented rabbit, even with a companion (actually, she helps to fill the inevitable void when we're not around) They are sweet, loveable, and just a bit opinionated ;) They think they're little people.

WE GOT HIM!!! :elephant::happydance I spoke to the vet today, and she said that she thinks he would be happiest with us!! YAAAAAY!! I'm so happy, I cried when she told me.:D

But on a side note, his whiskers were definately burned off. They were black and curled at the end, and his regular fur around his whiskers was burned a little too. This rex definately had whiskers at some point :? . Poor little guy... I start welling up again when I think of how scared he must have been whilst that horrible person was doing all of this to him. My only hope is that one day, that sick, depraved monster of a person gets what he deserves. Ten fold. And then some more on top. Bah...

But YAY! We got him! He will have a wonderful home and family, and a brother and sister to play with and love him. I will try my damndest to make up for all the pain and suffering he's been through. :)

Oh, this story has made my day :). I think it was fate that this poor little guy just happened to be there when you took Nala to the vet (hope she's doing OK, btw). And the timing with him having to stay there at the same time you are getting married (Congratulations) is a happy coincidence. I am so happy for all involved :cool:

Jan

ps - my first rabbit was a Rex, and she was the most loving girl you could wish for. My vet even said the same as m.e. - that she thought she was a little person and not a rabbit :)

Awww, good for you, wanting to adopt him! I'm glad your husband said yes... I feared that he'd refuse, like many hubbies would. I'm sure he'll have a great new home with you.

We rescued Theodore, our mini lop, from a shelter when we lived in California. He had been poked in the eye by a child playing "doctor" and the extent of the injury was so bad that they removed the eye all together. He was also covered in fleas and badly urine burned from living in a filthy outdoor hutch when he was rescued. He, too, was a very sweet bunny despite how he was treated in the past.

Oh, how I wish there was a rescue or shelter near me...

:bunnydance:Yay! I'm so glad you're taking him. We expect LOTS of pictures.

I've seen so many rabbits up for adoption that were rescued and have injuries like burns, ears cut off, etc. I just don't understand how someone could do that to a poor defenceless bunny! And that's the reason I will NEVER rehome my babies ever, they are with me for life.

So, this may sound like a dumb question, but do only rex's have the velvety fur? My little bun (as he shall henceforth be known as, until we name him) has the really short velvety fur and long ears that stick up. Is he a rex? How big do mini rex's grow? He's really small right now - not surprising considering what he's been through - but what kind of size can we expect him to grow? Thank you, in advance, for your help :)

Latest posts

Back