We might be getting a cat!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so here is the thing. A lady in the building died last Monday in her home. Jason and I did not know her but our friend (her neighbor) did. Our friend took in her ten year old cat but her cat does not like the new addition. She asked Jason and I if we would be interested. Jason loves cats and has always wanted an indoor kitty. Our friend says kitty is very submissive and gives lots of kisses. I am so ready to say yes so we go to her place to meet kitty. Here is the problem. This orange tabby is so massive and obese he has to drag himself across the floor. I have NEVER in my life seen anything like him. Who saw the last shrek movie? Remember puss and boots all fat? Ya slap a pink ribbon on this poor thing and there you go. He even has huge eyes! But I sat down next to him and he started purring before I even touched him. Jason weighed himself while holding him and subtracting the extra off Jasons staggering 120 pound frame kitty comes in at almost 35 POUNDS! The scary thing is his body is that of a 10-12 pound cat. I guess the lady fed him nothing but people food including pizza and mac/cheese. So here is the hard part. This kitty can't jump up onto anything so if we bring him home.... Well its going to be a humpfest. Fraggles will think christmas has come early. Kitty could never escape her and I just don't know how this is going to work. But nobody wants him and if he goes to the humane society he will be put to sleep :( Is there anything we can do to keep Fraggles from humping him day and night? Jason has already dubbed him "sh*tty kitty".....

Oh, poor kitty!! He needs to go on a diet, stat. I don't know how big your place is or where Fraggles is allowed to roam, but is there any way to keep the two separated for a time, at least until the cat can loose some weight and move a bit faster? Maybe a baby gate up in a hallway to divide bedrooms from living areas?

yeah I'd pretty much agree about the kitty on a diet. ;) On the other hand, the switch from human food to cat food alone might do the trick.

Can you get a baby door, and sort of divide the house into Fraggles half, and Kitty's half? So Fraggles gets say, the living room, and kitty gets kitchen?

Also, we demand kitty pictures. :p

p.s., Fraggles needs to come here; there's six kitties for her to play with!

edited because one of my words for cats could be taken the wrong way, in the context it was used. :p

Holy! That is a big cat. I have a slightly overweight cat at 22lbs (he's got a big frame so he'd be good at 18lbs), but 35lb on a cat that should be 12lbs thats crazy.

I hope you get him tho :) Older cats especially need homes.

I do know he needs a vet visit and a diet asap. That is something we will be doing immediatly. We talked about seperating but the problem is the living room is pretty much "binky land" plus there is the coffee table that Fraggles loves. So I don't see us cutting her off from the living room. But if we isolate kitty to the kitchen and hallway he will be cut off from people and I guess he likes to drag himself over to your feet. Poor kitty :(

thats sweet of you doing that katie, perhaps if you put him on a diet and let the humpfest begin he might move abit quicker :p

more serious note though im sure you will work something out animal lovers always do :pray:

Yeah I'm thinking the extra exercising to get away from misshumpsalot might be a cat version of the biggest loser. Might be doing her a favor... They can both start their diets together :)

It is quite possible that once Fraggles gets it out of her system she will leave him alone. If he doesn't question her dominance, and especially if the cat grooms Fraggles you may have a good match. It sounds like the personalities might go very well together. This may be one way for both of them to have a friend :)

Be bold, go for it!

What makes you think the cat will be put to sleep if she goes to a shelter?
Go to different shelters in your city and ask which ones are no-kill. Very few humane societies will euthanize due to overcrowding. You can even ask to foster the cat until it's adopted, so you know for sure that it doesn't get put down.
:)

well the first thing you will have to worry about is getting the cat to a vet. with that much extra weight there is a good chance that she has luxating patellas (this causes severe pain because the knees are popping out of place and can sometimes need surgery-my cat needs surgery for it and he's only 14 pounds). this is a very expensive surgery (vet gave me an estimate of around $1200 for my cat and that's only one knee). this could be another reason why she has to drag herself...she's in pain. she may also have liver, kidney, or other internal damage from the excess weight too. you need to find out exactly what is going on. is it a health problem that is causing her to gain weight? something only a vet can tell you. you can guess its all from bad feeding, but it may not be or it may have started that way, but now she has health issues from the bad feeding. best to have it all checked out before stressing her out with your rabbit. she may not even have a strong enough heart to be able to deal with the rabbits annoyances to her. i agree she will probably be put down at the shelter because they don't wanna pay all that money to take care of medical problems, get her to lose weight, and get her healthy enough to adopt out. if all checks out well with the vet though and her heart, lungs, etc. are all okay then perhaps the rabbit annoyances won't be all bad. maybe the rabbit annoying her will cause her to move around more thus hopefully leading to weight loss, but like i said you don't wanna just stress her out. she's already stressed out from losing her owner, being forced to move to your neighbors, and now being forced into a new home potentially one with a rabbit and maybe other animals and new people. she needs to be put in a room by herself for a few days and slowly introduce her to the rest of the house and then the other animals after she is comfortable with the house and with you and your man.

Well, if Kitty can avoid going to a shelter all together that would be better. Most shelters are over crowded and people want kittens before they want an older/senior cat.

Katie I was kind of thinking the same thing this morning that Fraggles might get it out of her system after a while. Tho that also got me thinking about Harvey humping the cats nonstop XD but that was a different situation. Harvey does however get along better with my submissive cat. So something to think about.

A lot of good points made here. I think that our humane society would put kitty down cause he is 10 and has serious problems. I was watching him today and when he moves he uses his knees in his front legs to drag himself along. His paws give him no support at all.

have you checked his paws? he could have some kind of infection in his paws or maybe his weight has caused some muscle deterioration since he maybe hasn't been able to walk for quite awhile. definitely something to get checked out. poor guy has been through a lot.

Latest posts

Back