We lost a really neat buck

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Turtle

Reaction score
We have only had George for a month, since Nationals in Missouri, but he was a terrific wabbit and we liked him and had great hopes for him. Late last night after we got home from a show in Michigan, he was missing from his hutch. We found him wedged awkwardly between a block that supports the hutches and the barn wall, and freed him, but he wasn't able to move his hind feet. He was responsive and breathing, so we brought him inside, gave him SQ fluids and tried to get him to eat a little.

George died a few hours later, just before I was to take him to the vet. Apparently he had panicked and gone into shock when he'd gotten stuck... he may have also injured his back trying to free himself, and as it was, he had pulled all this nails out on the right front foot trying to claw his way out of the spot in which he was stuck.

He had forced his way out of the hutch between the corner of the door and the frame... he was small enough to get away with that, and apparently had been exploring the barn floor when he got stuck. He was going to be four months old tomorrow.

This is the best image I had of him in the four weeks we had him:

http://tweetphoto.com/18108109

Today felt very sad and hollow indeed.

Oh no - he looks so cute in that photo. I bet he wold have been a great bunny.

That's the one thing I hate about breeding - we have more losses - because we have more bunnies!

He came from great stock... he's actually related to the amazing Dolly, R724B, who won Cortland last fall. He was her nephew.

It's funny... when we lose kits from new litters, it's a little easier because their eyes aren't open and their ears aren't up. They don't know the world, and you don't really know them yet. But at four months, they have distinct and strong personalities and you're already wondering how they'll be as seniors, maybe thinking ahead to finding a doe to match up with them, and then they're gone. It's terribly, terribly hard.

Still, we do it. He was with me to his last moments and knew I was there for him.

Latest posts

Back