we have a very special foster bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Yep, she looks Broken Castor to me too. Castor does have a bit of a black tinge to it. Her colouring looks just like my Rex, Bria, who is also a Broken Castor.

3 litters at a year & a half old really isn't bad. That's about average. If she was bred at 6 months, that gives her 3 months per litter, but obviously they were careless and had the buck & doe living together, and not giving her the proper amount of time in between litters.

At 6 months, to 9 months. One litter
9 1/2 months to 11 1/2 months. Two litters.
12 months to 15 months. 3 litters.

That's with a 2 week break inbetween each litter/pregnancy. 1 month of being pregnant, 2 months of raising & then weaning... and that's weaning at 8 weeks of age instead of six.

Hope that makes sense. ;)

Emily
Emily, what you said does make sense, but I don't think Nomi's only had 3 litters. Just 3 that we know of. The first one that Max and Macie were from, then the second that was born when they were just 5 or so weeks old and caused Max and Macie and the rest of their litter to be ditched at Petco. Then the other litter that she had right before being ditched herself. I'm willing to bet there were more litters in between since it appears that they were keeping the male and female together. And I think she was pregnant again which is why they spayed her, they don't normally spay bun buns at our Petco/animal shelter. She's between a year and a year and a half old and apparently was purchased by her owners because they already had a boy and they were told she was a boy too. Max and Macie were in her first litter and were born at the beginning of June so at a bare minimum she had 3 litters in 6 months. There may have been another litter (or two!) in between.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Yep, she looks Broken Castor to me too. Castor does have a bit of a black tinge to it. Her colouring looks just like my Rex, Bria, who is also a Broken Castor.

3 litters at a year & a half old really isn't bad. That's about average. If she was bred at 6 months, that gives her 3 months per litter, but obviously they were careless and had the buck & doe living together, and not giving her the proper amount of time in between litters.

At 6 months, to 9 months. One litter
9 1/2 months to 11 1/2 months. Two litters.
12 months to 15 months. 3 litters.

That's with a 2 week break inbetween each litter/pregnancy. 1 month of being pregnant, 2 months of raising & then weaning... and that's weaning at 8 weeks of age instead of six.

Hope that makes sense. ;)

Emily
Emily, what you said does make sense, but I don't think Nomi's only had 3 litters.  Just 3 that we know of.  The first one that Max and Macie were from, then the second that was born when they were just 5 or so weeks old and caused Max and Macie and the rest of their litter to be ditched at Petco.  Then the other litter that she had right before being ditched herself.  I'm willing to bet there were more litters in between since it appears that they were keeping the male and female together.  And I think she was pregnant again which is why they spayed her, they don't normally spay bun buns at our Petco/animal shelter.  She's between a year and a year and a half old and apparently was purchased by her owners because they already had a boy and they were told she was a boy too.  Max and Macie were in her first litter and were born at the beginning of June so at a bare minimum she had 3 litters in 6 months.  There may have been another litter (or two!) in between.

Yes, I was just saying that in a year and a half it's perfectly fine, but obviously Nomi has had more litters in that short span, and that isn't fine. ;)

Emily

I, for one, scoffed (?)and laughed at the post. I in no way believe that Nomi will go anywhere. I mean come on, she's adorable and sweet AND she's Max and Mabel's mommy. I myself was gushing all over her. And anyone who knows Shiloh... ;)Mwahahahaha.

I agree though, if her nipples are more pronounced and her fur is scruffy, she was probably either spayed right after another pregnancy or during one so they wouldn't end up having to deal with more unwanted bunnies (whether we agree with that policy or not doesn't change what might have happened I guess). That would probably also explain her being a bit more tubby as you say. :)Giggles raided the food quite early on when she was preggers :expressionlessLol.

Ps: I have to tell Jeff that Paul named her Nomi. Lol. :biggrin:

Diana, I just told a friend about Ookpik the other day! Over Christmas I pet sat for someone who lives on a street called Ookpik :) How are the little lady and Newtie Patootie doing?

Nela, we will see what happens! She is a dear for sure. We would not have taken her in if we were not willing to accept keeping her forever. Some day Paul and I would like to possibly open our own little rabbit rescue and Nomi is kind of a practice bunny. Paul already wants to keep her!

Got some news- I got a reply to Nomi's Craigslist ad! I called the lady back and we talked for about 10 minutes. She and her husband and kids have an unneutered male and want a friend for him. She seemed like a nice lady though not very knowledgeable about rabbits. We talked about bonding rabbits and I explained that it would probably go better if her boy is neutered first. It is very important to her that the two share a cage because she wants her current boy to have a friend and she wants to have only one cage to deal with. She said she'd talk to her husband about getting their boy neutered and then call me back.

Poor Nomi! She's been named for days but I keep calling her the wrong name accidentally. I've accidentally called her Nami, Noni, Nonnie, Howie (?), Normie and Naomi. Let's hope I get the hang of it soon. Once I even called her Nomi and then laughed at my mistake only to have Paul point out that Nomi is correct. Derp.

Back