we have a very special foster bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
My husband and I have unexpectedly become foster parents to a beautiful bunny! As a bit of backstory, this summer we went to Petco to get supplies and there was a cage of darling 6 week old Mini Rexes that someone had ditched at the store. They were being adopted out through Petco's adoption program rather than sold. We picked two babies, Maximus and Mabel, and are so happy to have them in our family because they're wonderful, darling bunnies.

Fast forward to tonight. We went to Petco to get some litter and there was a cage in the adoptions section with a mini rex in it. We went over to check the bunny out immediately and marveled at how much she looks like Max and Mabel. As we were talking to her and stuff, the employee who helped us adopt Max and Mabel this summer came over and confirmed that she's their MOMMY! She was abandoned because she had another litter and the owners didn't want to pay to spay her. This girl is only a year and a half old and has had at least 3 litters (who knows how many more). Paul and I talked about it for a couple of minutes and decided we couldn't leave her there. She's been through so much and needs a loving home. The plan is to try to find her a good home ourselves because we feel we owe it to her. Plus we (especially me) just love bunnies and the Petco adoption program has always concerned me because they'll adopt to anyone. She's had a sad life as a baby factory so far and needs a family who will be crazy about her. We will try to find her a great family on Craigslist, wish us luck!

Here is the pretty girl. We think she's beautiful and she's very sweet and curious. She's bigger than Maximus and Mabel but part of that is because she's overweight and maybe their dad was smaller. Her nipples are also big because she just weaned a litter of babies. Heh, this is noteworthy to us because our girls all have tiny nipples :D We already had a large dog crate she can stay in (we bought it for Kerensa but ended up using a different cage). She's in our bedroom away from the other buns so she can settle down and relax after her stressful past couple of weeks.

IMG_7719.jpg

"I get toys here?!"
IMG_7727.jpg

And not to worry, she'll get more toys and hay and stuff. This was just what we threw together when we got home. Also no name yet, we're conflicted on whether we should name her since we're going to try to find her a new home but it seems mean for her not to have a name :( Paul wants to name her after a Star Wars character. Of course.

Also we aren't going into Petco anymore! We get most of our stuff from the feed store or online but we really needed litter!

She's beautiful!
Was Petco able to spay her? I'd heard that they alter their adoptables(heh), I thought that was super cool. She looks pretty good for having 3 litters so close though, just needs a good forever home for sure :D

Ohh :nerves1 she looks so sweet! Poor girl, I don't understand why people would buy any animal if they aren't willing to pay for things towards their pet like getting spayed or taking care of the babies...

OneTwoThree, yes she IS spayed! I don't think our Petco normally spays small animals but they've teamed up with the local animal shelter and maybe that's why? Though Rory and Ned, our other shelter bunnies, were not neutered by them. Who knows.

She's so sweet and surprisingly laid back, all things considered. And she tinkled in her litter box as soon as we put it in! She's peed in it several times now and has been jingling her toy and chewing/throwing other toys. She likes being petted (no cowering or running away) and even came out of her cage to explore the bedroom a bit when I opened the door.

It looks to me like her coloring is Chestnut Agouti which is my beloved Rory's coloring. Paul doesn't see it but her face reminds me of Rory's too. With her being Max and Macie's mama and looking like them plus Rory (and Phoebe too!) how could I not love her?

It will be interesting to see if her fur changes. It's shorter and more... unkempt? looking than Maximus and Mabel's fur. They're fed good food and have very stress free lives so maybe Mama's fur will get better since she won't be having back to back litters anymore. And who knows what she was fed before.

I looked into it and it appears chestnut agouti is not a color that Mini Rexes have? Her son, Maximus, is a broken castor but I swear her brown hairs have black tips and they look like Rory's spots rather than Max's. Not important of course but interesting (to me) nonetheless. Maybe there are different degrees of castor or something, or maybe if her fur gets healthier it will look like Maximus.

What a Gorgeous bunny! I am so glad I'm way over on the east coat :wink

Awww she's soo adorable. I won't lie-I love the mini rex's. I've had a couple and they're just so nice.

I wish I lived closer and I wish I could get another bunny right now..because I would totally come get her. *goes and has a pity party :(

She's is absolutely darling!!! I'm so glad you got her out of there. Good luck on finding her a new home. I'm thankful that I'm way over in Pennsylvania, or I'd have Max a buddy. LOL

Her fur does look a little unkempt, but shes probably pulled a bit for her kits and might be mid shed? Can I ask why you said she's overweight? She doesn't really look it from the photo, but I know you can't really tell by photos. She looks like a broken castor, heres some photos here of both the broken and the castor :Dhttp://www.minkhollow.ca/MHF/doku.php?id=farm:rabbits:rex_standard#un-official_illustrated_rex_standard

Thats so awesome they did spay her! Go Petco!

OneTwoThree, could point about the fur pulling for babies! She's bunny #10 for me (3 in heaven :( ) and I've never dealt with pregnancy so even though I knew they pull for for babies I hadn't thought of that yet. She is shedding a little right now but I figured it may be stress induced.

Maximus is a broken castor (with blue eyes and white ears, he's drop dead gorgeous) and his markings look different from hers and from photos I've seen of broken castors. The brown on her definitely has black in it too. She looks brindle like a dog!

The reason I think she's overweight is that she feels tubby. All of my bun buns are healthy weights and I just know what they should feel like. I can barely feel her spine and with my other guys I can feel it better. Kinda hard to describe but I do think she's a little chunky though not obese.

She continues to be a complete darling in any case!

It just occurred to me that they may have had Pretty Girl (not her name, just what we're calling her) spayed because she was probably pregnant again. Max and Macie were ditched at 6 weeks because Mama had another litter. Why didn't these people just separate their rabbits?!

Oh no Snowy, that poor girl!! I hope you can find a good home for her, she has been through a lot :( What irresponsible owners!! grrr!

Miss Bunny has a name now! My husband picked Nomi for her. Apparently there's a character in Star Wars named Nomi Sundancer. Nomi is a cute name and fits her :) She's really a wonderful bunny and anyone would be lucky to have her! Get this, if you pet her while she's having her dinner she actually stops eating and enjoys the pets! Our bunnies just chow down with abandon :D And she rushes to the cage door for attention when you come over. She's so outgoing.

That's what our current mini rex does-if you're trying to feed treats, she won't eat them if you're petting her. And she's soooo gentle about taking food from your hand. Both our mini rex's have been this way..maybe its the breed.

Yep, she looks Broken Castor to me too. Castor does have a bit of a black tinge to it. Her colouring looks just like my Rex, Bria, who is also a Broken Castor.

3 litters at a year & a half old really isn't bad. That's about average. If she was bred at 6 months, that gives her 3 months per litter, but obviously they were careless and had the buck & doe living together, and not giving her the proper amount of time in between litters.

At 6 months, to 9 months. One litter
9 1/2 months to 11 1/2 months. Two litters.
12 months to 15 months. 3 litters.

That's with a 2 week break inbetween each litter/pregnancy. 1 month of being pregnant, 2 months of raising & then weaning... and that's weaning at 8 weeks of age instead of six.

Hope that makes sense. ;)

Emily

She is beautiful :inlove:

That is so wonderful that you were able to take her in. Before you know it you will be around her little paws. :)

Latest posts

Back