Ways to Help Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
By reading through this forum and talking to other people, a lot of you have probably realized just how many rabbits need help, whether they're in a shelter or being neglected by an owner who isn't well informed. Luckily, there are a lot of ways to help beyond just adoption, and not all require large amounts of free time or money. Pretty surprising, but true.

If you have any ideas I haven't listed, please send me a pm!

Donations

Donations can come in many forms and go to many different organizations. Money is the most basic donation, and you use it to help rabbits at local shelters, rabbit rescues, or for rabbit education groups. If you are donating money to an organization that handles multiple species and you want to help out the rabbits in particular, it might be a good idea to request that your donation be used for rabbits. Shameless plug here, but this website uses donations to pay for hosting and software, and by keeping this site running you are helping lots of bunny lovers get the information and support they need!

Most shelters and rescues also take in donated items. Check with your particular group to see what they need right now, and what items they run out of often. Hay, litter, and small, safe toys are usually always appreciated. Check with the shelter before donating pellets, veggies, or cages as they may feed only specific things or may not have space for new cages.

If you don't have much money to spare, look at what and how you buy things for your rabbits. If you don't have room to store a whole bale of hay, buy one anyway. Take what you can keep and donate the rest. You'll still save money over buying from a pet store plus you'll be providing much-needed hay for shelter rabbits. Feeding alfalfa pellets, but don't have many rabbits? Buy a large bag of quality pellets from a feed store for much less than pet store prices. Take out as much as your rabbits will eat in a few months, and give the rest to a shelter (check with them first as some may only feed specific brands).

Remember that many of the best rabbit toys are cheap or free. Maybe you can bring in untreated apple or willow twigs or pine cones. Stuff paper lunch bags with hay and tie them closed with twine. They are great for all buns, but especially the cage aggressive ones that need punching bags! Cardboard rolls from toilet paper or paper towels are tons of fun, especially when stuffed with hay. Make hanging toys with sisal string, chew toys, and small bells from craft stores. Toys for shelter rabbits are more than just "nice," they also provide necessary exercise, tooth wear, and outlets for frustration and anger in an environment that is often very stressful. Check out the Toys! thread in Bunny 101 for ideas for fun, inexpensive or home made toys.

Time

Have a little extra time? Volunteers are always useful. Maybe the local rabbit rescue or shelter needs help cleaning out cages, grooming, or bunny huggers to socialize the rabbits. What could be better than helping rabbits by playing with them? Shelters may be able to keep up with their work load, but not always. Ask to see if they need help keeping up with regular cleanings, etc., or ask about volunteering to socialize the buns. Keep in mind that many places prefer you to make a regular time commitment for these sorts of jobs. Even an hour a two a week can make a difference with socializing rabbits. Don't believe me? Send me a pm and ask about Midnight!

If you can't make a regular commitment but still want to help, ask about other opportunities. You could help out with fundraisers, adopt-a-thons, mobile adoptions (taking animals to pet stores, malls, etc.), information drives (especially at Easter), and educational visits to children's museums, libraries, and nursing homes. Rescues may also need help transporting rabbits to their new owners or getting rabbits out of a far-away bad situation. Let rescues in your area know if you can help with transports, and sign up on the RO Transport/Rescue Map.

Have extra time and space? Consider fostering rabbits. Rabbit rescues always need more foster homes, it lets them take more needy rabbits in. Shelters may need foster homes to work with pregnant or nursing rabbits, those recovering from health problems, or shy or aggressive rabbits that need more socialization than is possible at the shelter.

Education

Education is a major factor in improving the lives of pet rabbits. So many people that have rabbits don't know how to take care of them, whether it's how to clip nails, what to feed, separating genders and preventing unwanted pregnancies, or how sensitive rabbits are to hot temperatures. You can donate to this forum, rescues and shelters that do educational work, or campaigns like Make Mine Chocolate!, which has an info drive every Easter.

You can also help do the work, by putting up posters, providing pet stores with accurate rabbit care brochures, and helping with rabbit info seminars or care demonstrations at schools.

Check out your local library. What sort of books do they have about rabbits? If they only have the typical pet store books that have lots of glossy pictures and poor information, donate some better books. Good choices for pet rabbits are The House Rabbit Handbook, The House Rabbit Primer, Why Does My Rabbit?, and Rabbit Health in the 21st Century. Good books on rabbit breeding are helpful too. Donate books such as Rabbit Production, Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits, and a spare copy of the ARBA Official Guidebook (or equivalent in your country).

Even simple things help. Talk to people about your rabbits, strike up conversations with other rabbit owners while you are shopping at pet stores. I love explaining to people looking at rabbits in pet stores that the local shelter has spayed/neutered rabbits for only $35. I've found that some people are interested in learning more when I explain that all those wierd veggies I'm buying are for my spoiled house rabbits. A few times, other rabbit owners nearby overhear me and ask me where they can find more info.

Breeders, remember to send info packets home when you sell a bunny to a pet home. Also, consider getting involved with your local 4H groups. Some of the 4H rabbit programs are great, but in others are astoundingly bad. They may appreciate advice on how to care for rabbits, how to handle them, and how to choose good show and breeding animals.

[line]
Every little bit adds up. Even if you can only play a small part with helping needy rabbits, it can make a difference for somebun. If each person on this forum makes a difference in just one rabbit's life, that's a difference in over 6,000 bunny lives!

Back