Ways to entertain a dog without physical activity?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
My aunt has a dog with heartworm that we rescued. She is a couple years old, so she is going through extensive treatment.. this means she can not run or play for ... three more months (it already has been three months) because the medicine could kill her.

But my Aunt wants to give her something to entertain her mentally- instead of physically since she has to be stuck in a crate for all this time (unless going out to go potty).

Any ideas would be much appreciated! (Links to buy things would be nice too!)

They already have:
-Small antler (just given today, don't know how long that will last)
-Kong that we stuff with things like carrots, apples and/or treats
-Strong dog rope
-Beefhide bones that I put a bit of peanut butter
-An 'Everlasting Treat Ball' (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750985)
-Pigs hooves
-A disgusting looking 'meaty knuckle'
-Food dispensing feeder for her meals

She is incredibly smart and gets bored real quickly!

And remember- no running or playing! We just want mental stimulation!

This is her by the way :)

tumblr_m3ctvdlEh01qilpw0o2_1280.jpg

That was her in her old home.. not really "home". They didn't feed her or give her water or take her inside. We were the ones that kept her alive (my dad owns a house in another city and she was next door)... we would have called on them or taken her but since she is part pitbull- we didn't want her being put down (she is a bit wary of some people) and we wanted to know where she was (we are really attached) and we didn't want them to ruin our house in that city since my dad is fixing it up to sell it.

So finally, my dad had the chance to talk to the house-owner and he agreed to let us take her. My Aunt Corey fell in love and now she has a new home and she is a great dog (not potty trained though..)

It would have all be perfect if she wasn't tested positive for heartworm. But we are confident she'll pull through. She's tough <3

Oh that poor baby! So glad she's in the right hands now! She is just GORGEOUS!

You're list up there is pretty good. You have everything I was going to recommend. Antlers were always a favorite at my house but never lasted long. Try staying away from raw hide as its really not good for them.

Hmm.. If I can think of anything i'll surely come back to post.

Those sound like nice toys, but there is little better stimulation than working with owners on obedience and tricks, most of which are not strenuous.

I recommend checking out kikopup's YouTube channel. Her techniques are about building love ans trust between Humana and dogs and are fool proof. Plus, she's accomplished so many things that I have never seen before! Truly amazing.

It's good of your mom to have taken her in, I'm just so sorry that she had to have heartworm. It's so amazing that she survived treatment and is regaining strength. There are many times that they don't make it through because of the toxicity of the treatment and they have to be put down.

I hope she makes a good recovery!

MyBabyHasPaws wrote:
Oh that poor baby! So glad she's in the right hands now! She is just GORGEOUS!

You're list up there is pretty good. You have everything I was going to recommend. Antlers were always a favorite at my house but never lasted long. Try staying away from raw hide as its really not good for them.

Hmm.. If I can think of anything i'll surely come back to post.

isn't she? when she runs/walks she has a really german shepherd-y gait. but from the front she looks real pitty. i am uploading some videos i took of her before to show you how high energy she is.. and how cute!

but yeah, my aunt and uncle are taking great care of her : ) we would have taken her if we didn't have my two dogs already. she's really high strung, so her with a 15 year old dog who doesn't like bigger dogs wouldn't work out well, and another dog that get aggressive with other dogs.. yeah, we weren't able to keep her. but she is happy with my aunt and we get to see her still!

thank you!

Nelsons_Mom wrote:
Those sound like nice toys, but there is little better stimulation than working with owners on obedience and tricks, most of which are not strenuous.

I recommend checking out kikopup's YouTube channel. Her techniques are about building love ans trust between Humana and dogs and are fool proof. Plus, she's accomplished so many things that I have never seen before! Truly amazing.

It's good of your mom to have taken her in, I'm just so sorry that she had to have heartworm. It's so amazing that she survived treatment and is regaining strength. There are many times that they don't make it through because of the toxicity of the treatment and they have to be put down.

I hope she makes a good recovery!

thank you for the tips!

yeah, my mom, dad, and i rescued her, then my aunt took her in : ) i stated in a previous post (before i saw you replied) to why we couldn't keep her. :( i would have loved to.

it is awful that she has heartworm. i was devastated, i bawled my eyes out. :C i think she is tough and i know she will get through it. thank you!

When she's able to run and play again I recommend a flirt pole. They are AWESOME for killing energy! You can make one really cheap too..

cant wait for the videos

Teach her new tricks, and hide treats around the house or in one room and make her find them.. these are both really good mental stimulation for dogs! :)

Teach her new tricks, and hide treats around the house or in one room and make her find them.. these are both really good mental stimulation for dogs! :)

Heartworm sucks, but props for taking the appropriate action!

I know my dog loves the radio; he really likes celtic music and smooth jazz. Maybe you could drag over a small, spare TV and rent a bunch of animal movies. You could position it near the crate!

Have someone in the house read aloud! Pick a chapter book and read like you're reading to a small child; I do this with my bunnies and they really seem to hone in on it, plus they seem to like having my attention directed at them (by me laying on my stomach near them and facing them as I read with the book open on the floor).

What about brushing or some sort of relaxed grooming?

Doggy massage! I know when Troy (my dog) has a rough or stressful day for whatever reason he really loves the one on one attention of having a massage. It isn't mentally stimulating, but it's definitely a way to bond and feel less alone.

I'll keep my ears up for you guys and see what else I can come up with!

:)

I am so glad this baby has found a real "home"! I go to the grocery store butcher and ask them for butcher bones. They come frozen so I can keep a supply on hand at home for my labs who love to chew. I get them cut in half for my smaller dogs, but leave them long for the labs so they work on them for longer. They spend hours on them. When the marrow in the middle is gone I fill them with other stuff and freeze them so they can be used again.

Back