way O/T, but who has a small dog?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suggest maybe a bichon frise, they are verygentle, and are great if you have allergies, they have hair instead offur. They are a bit pricy tho.

May I make a suggestion?

Being a dog groomer, I've come to know a lot of breeds.

Jack Russel's are very hyper, and I know its not in all cases, but theytend to hunt rabbits so I wouldn't suggest mixing the two together justin case.

Yorkies, Bichon's, Mini Schauzers, Shih-tzu's, Lhasa Apso's, all very cute, but I find they are all yappy.

Chihuahua's, cute, have very short hair, but again, yappy.

It seems smaller dogs make more noise than bigger ones if you ask me.

The breed I am getting, is small, though their coat gets semi-long, it is easy to groom with simple brushing.

They are not barkers, and they will get along with smaller animals and children. They come in4 different colors:

Blenheim (reddish and white), Tri-Color (black, tan and white), Black and Tan, andRuby (reddish).

And the breed is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Here are some pictures:

Blenheim color:

2648_Cavalier_King_Charles_Spaniel.jpg

Tri-color:

cavalier1.jpg

Black and Tan:

ckcs_lbushman.jpg

Ruby:

cavalier-king-charles-spaniel.jpg

This is an adult one :

caval.jpg

They grow to be 12-13 inches at the withers (shoulders)

and their weight is 10-18lbs.

I have several small dogs,A jack russell( theshort legged ones, he only weighs 9 lbs) the short legged ones are waymore calm than the long legged,my sister raises the short legged ones.Achihuahua( they are very calm for a small dog)ours is too calm for me.ihave also owned several toy poodles which are intelligent dogs and iliked very much.my friend has a pug which is like a big dog in a littlebody great with kids.we also have a chiahuahua jack russell mix whichacts more like a jack russell and is my favorite dog.All breeds havethings you need to watch for. a common thing in small breeds is kneeproblems, if it is very bad they can require expensive surgery.Checkout the breeder carefully .Un fortunately there are a lot of peoplebreeding dogs with genetic defects.bluebird

we used to have a king charles she was a tricolor i did love her but i dont think i would have another one as thevets bills where very large as with all pedigree dogs they tend to havehealth problems. however they do have really good temprements and aregood with kids they love fuss and attention and ours slept Alot!

Em x

Actually any dog can get fat and smelly if the owner lets it get that way.

The smaller less active dogs to tend to get fatter though because they're less active.

Beagles always end up fat.

As for the smell, peoples dogs wouldn't smell at all if they groomed them properly :)

Boxers are also cute dogs, but a little big :p

I just wanted to make a note about the price ofdogs. I've found that most purebred (even mixes) are really expensivethese days, and it can be a shocker at first, but it is so worthitif youfind the right breed.Be leary ofbreeders who are selling a breed cheaper than most other breeders, butalso just because they'll sell the dog for a lot of money doesn't meanyou're getting a well bred dog. We paid $1200 for our Brussels Griffon,but she was absolutely without a doubt the right breed for us, and welove her SO much! There are many breed rescues out there as well,although in my experience, children and small rescue dogs usually don'tmix, I've adopted 5 different small dogs and they were all horriblewith the kids. It's best if you get them as a puppy, or on a rareoccasion you might find a small dog who needs to be rehomed that wastreated well and was around small children before.

Megan

Listen, I think you should just go topetfinder.com, put in that you want a dog, small size, and your zipcode and it should give you all the small dogs available for adoptionaround your area....i love petfinder

ok, I have made my decision! we aregoing to get a papillon! I was going between one of those, abichon, or a jack russel, but have decided on a papillon. Ihave done SO much research these last couple weeks I feel like I amgoing batty!!!

I decided a couple days ago on the papillon, then went onthe hunt for people who had them, I found 2 breeedes near by(a 3 hour drive radius) and although they were two of the cheaperplaces, I did not get a good feeling about them, so I actually wastalking to my SIL who lives 4 hrs. south of me and told her that is thebreed I was looking for and asked her to do some searching near her,well I about died when she said that one of her coworkers sister waslooking to rehome her papillon puppy!

The puppy is only 11 weeks old and they have only had it forthree weeks and are disturbed that it has not gotten potty trainingdown, and they found out they just don't have the patience for it, theyhave an 20 mo. old daughter and the daughter is too rough with itetc....

it is an AKC registered dog, has been vet checked etc....andyesterday I talked with the breeder where they got it from, and shesaid she would extend the one year health guarantee to me andsuch. The breeder actually had wanted it back from them onceshe found out they were giving it to someone else already, but aftertalking to me she said she was comfortable with me owning it, shereally put me through the third degree! anyways, I am goingthis weekend to get my puppy!! Tracy

Ah! The Papillon is a cute little dog! The little butterfly dog :)

They do have to be groomed often though because of their long coat, want to keep those pretty ears looking nice :)

I'm positive you will enjoy this little one!

Hey MBLM,

Do you have any recomendations for keeping the beard on our BrusselsGriffon clean? She gets it wet in her drinking water and then stuffsticks to it. I end up washing her face quite often and I don't likegetting her wet all the time.

Megan

Though the decision has already been made(papillons are adorable!), I'll throw in my two cents for anyone elsewho might be swayed...

The Cairn Terrier is by far my favorite small dog. They're very lovingand snuggly, but also independent. They're not yappy like manyterriers. Mine usually barks once a day, and that's when the mail comesthrough the front door slot. He loves visitors, is very very friendlywith children, and very tolerant of rough handling (unlike many smalldogs). He's sturdy for his stature. He's not a tiny dog, but definitelyperfect for a lap. He weighs about 17 pounds, I believe. Highlytrainable, easily potty trained, energetic but not hyper. He's contentto lay in front of the fire for hours and hours, but he's always up fora walk or game of tug-o-war. He's also very dog/rabbit/ferret tolerant.I love 'im. And he looks like Toto!

dogs.jpg

Rascal is the cutie on the right.

MeganC, Griffons and such dogs with beards oftenhave this problem, you'll be surprised what you can find nestled inthere sometimes... like...a cheerio...lol, don't ask.

Okay, how to groom a beard, may also work on husbands if neccessary lol:

1. Dampen the beard with a wet cloth.

2. Brush the area with a Universal Slicker Brush, removing the larger particles and mats.

3. Using a flea comb, brush the same area to remove the smaller particles you may have missed.

4. Use a combination comb, or fine tooth comb to check for missedspots, if you missed a spot, then go back and follow the steps.Re-Check, if clean, you're done!

5. You can blow or air dry the beard.

and Voila!

Hope that helps, the flea combs and brushes/combs can be purchased atany pet store if you don't have one, which I strongly believe every dogowner should have one :)

-Michelle

Latest posts

Back