Water

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoshia

Reaction score
Sorry about all the questions. I've got one more quick one.

Can rabbits drink water from a bowl or do they have to have it in awater bottle? Also if using a bowl can the rabbit share itwith a cat? I know that there is one germ/bacteria in a catsmouth that can harm/kill birds and can be passed through drinking thesamewater, can rabbits get it too?

Thanx......again

-Madelon

Bunnies can use either a bottle or a dish, butthey tend to geta bowl dirty--and throw it across the cage!For outdoor bunnies in cold climates, water bottles don't work becausethey freeze up. With bowls, they lick a hole in the ice and drink fromthe hole.

but for an indoor bunny probably a bottle is best! I wouldn't share it with a cat....

Rose

Don't know about the cat germ thing, but waterbottles do keep the water cleaner, longer. Downside is theymust be cleaned periodically so that mold doesn't grown within.

Bowls easier to drink from for most rabbits and rabbits will probablydrink more as a result, which is a good thing. On the otherhand, bowls much more susceptible to be fouled, tipped over, steppedin, or serve as moisture sources for ears and dewlaps, leadingto skin problems.

Buck

My bunnies drink happily from both. They areoutside and get a water bottle in the summer time because they gettheir water filthy in a bowl all the time. In the winter, however, Igive them bowls and change their water as often as possible. On schooldays that's 3 hours at the least.

Since it seems that your bunny is an inside one, a water bottle wouldprobably be best, it means cleaner water and less maintenance on yourpart. It still needs cleaning but doesn't need the constant refillingbecause the rabbit spilled it or get it dirty like a bowl does.

I was planning on having a water bottle in thecage and then letting it drink from a bowl when it's out of thecage. Of corse I could always just get two water bottles (onein the cage, one out) if he cant adjust to a bowl. I'll justhave to wait and see what happens with the bun when I gethim. Ijust wanted to make sure about the cat germ thingbecause, bowl or bottle, my cats will drink from it even if it therabbits. They are such wierdos.

My picky buns will only drink from bowls. You canbuy crocks that attach to the side of the cage to prevent tipping. Theyget hay in it by the end of the day (my fiance insists they're makingtea) But by supper time they always get fresh water. Buck Jones, I'vealso heard that rabbits drink more from a bowl and that it is morenatural for them than the bottle.

I loved this "myfiance insists they are making tea"

MAYBEthey are..who really knows exactly what goeson in abunny'smind when they do some ofthe things they do?Leaves us flabbergasted, and them, for the most part, lookingparticularly pleased with themselves!

dont haveanotherpethere.....)Although I would beinterested inan opinion about the sharing of rabbitgermswith ,maybea andvice-versa.

Cher

I don't know for sure because although I've gotcats I'm waiting til my rabbits are bigger before I try any kind ofintroduction. I do have some friends though who have cats rabbits anddogs all running round together and presumably drinking from eachothers bowls and none of them seem to have come to any harm, but Ican't guarantee that. Best of luck with your rabbit. Has he met thecats yet?

I'm pretty sure its only with birds and cats, butI just thought I would ask. The thing with the bird cat germ,in case your wondering, is.

Cats have this bacteria natrualy in their mouths (it starts with a Pbut i forget). If a bird is bitten by a cat the bird is likeinjected with the bacteria and it like attcks the birds body (Somethinglike that). If the bird is not treated in 24-48 hours thebird gets really really sick and can sometimes die. Vets sayit can also be passed through drinking the same water. It'shighly unlikely but you should still take precautions. Sojust when you fill your birdies water up dont let the cat drink from itbefore you put it back in their cage.

I'm sure no one was interested in knowing that but I just thought I"d write it anyway. :pSorry

Thanx for the replies

-Madelon

Back