Water question.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Offspring2099

Reaction score
I need expert advice.

What is better:

Tap water, which of course has chlorine, but has some minerals.

Or

Reverse-Osmosis water (we got this installed in our house), as far as I could tell by reading online, Reverse-Osmosis completely purifies the water. Mostly junk, as well as minerals are extracted.

Basically with Reverse-Osmosis I will give my bun clean water, but will I be taking away the needed minerals?

If I'm completely wrong please let me know.

Mmmm I have never heard of Reverse-Osmosis before. But here in the UK I have always been told to give rabbits tap water and not filtered water. I guess it depends on how RO purifies the water. I hope someone can help you soon.

Hmm...I haven't thought of this, which is odd considering I've lived in the LA area since June 94! I'd be interested to know as well...

maherwoman wrote:
Hmm...I haven't thought of this, which is odd considering I've lived in the LA area since June 94! I'd be interested to know as well...

The water here sucks, so we always got 'sparklets' or something like that. So the bottled water is what the rabbits got. As much as research I've done, I found that sparklets is not reverse-osmosis. So it had minerals, I think that's even listed on their website.

Now that we got this thing. I'm not sure which is better. Crappy LA tap water, that reeks of chlorine and god knows what. Or clean water with nothing it in. What a dilemma.

Haha...too true. Funny that I didn't think of it, considering I've always called LA water "rocket fuel". LOL!!

I'll do a little research to see what, exactly reverse-osmosis does for water, and get back to ya. :)

I give Bunbuns Reverse-Osmosis, because i drink it aswell. I dont think you can really chose which one is better.. its preferance i guess...

Hmm...just from the first site I've encountered, it sounds basically like a more-involved, more-thorough filtering system.

Sounds wonderful to me! Can I come over and borrow a gallon of water? Hehe...

I've seen in some bunny books that, if you don't mind paying for it, bottled/purified water is better for bunnies just because it has a lot less junk in it :dunnobut a lot of stuff in bunny books is wrong or they don't tell you the whole story as far as I can tell.

I do know that with kids, if you have this installed in your home, you need to provide some sort of flouride so that the kid's teeth don't decay. I know someone that has to give their kids flouride tablets each night to supplement. Don't know if rabbits need flouride for the teeth or not:?.

I truly don't think so...I wouldn't worry about that. :)

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Don't know if rabbits need flouride for the teeth or not:?.

rabb1tmad wrote:
Mmmm I have never heard of Reverse-Osmosis before. But here in the UK I have always been told to give rabbits tap water and not filtered water. I guess it depends on how RO purifies the water. I hope someone can help you soon.

Really? I have been giving my bun complketely pure water... not tap. It tastes better though? huh id like to know...

-Kat

A balanced diet will provide the required daily minerals and vitamins for your rabbit. No need to worry about tap vs pure.

Pam

i had a reverse osmosis system in my old house, and after receiving a water report from the town i lived in where it said we had arsenic in the water i was on the phone with the co. They told me that the reverse osmosis was pure water, it took everything out of the water, all pollutants, all minerals, and everything. I also was given flouride drops for my kids to give them not because of the reverse osmosis, but because our township did add flouride to the water when it was treated. it was the best tasting water , and everyone wanted some,lol. i would think that as long as your rabbit was getting its vitamins and everything it needed from what it was eating then you w ould be ok. I dont think that there is anything that your r abbit NEEDS in water. I would also like to place an order for your water,lol. we have since moved and have well water and i buy spring water like it is going out of style,lol. i miss my system.

Sure I can start a little lemonade stand, except it will be pure water. :p

So which veggies would have the proper nutrients and minerals that normal water has? I'm worried that she will not get enough calcium, should I?

Latest posts

Back