Water Bowls

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLover

Reaction score
I currently have a heavyceramic bowl(or some material similar) for CupCake. BlueBelle had a plastic onethat screwed into her cage (highly necessary, she loved to rearrangeher cage). I'm considering switching CupCake over to a plastic onebecause hers needs to be washed everyday or it gets somewhat slimy. ButI likeher current bowl because it has a fat bottom and isheavy so she can't tip it or move it all around.I'm justwondering what types of water bowls you alluse and the prosand cons of that type of bowl. Thanks!

Lissa

Hi Lissa,

Pet_Bunny has a graet idea that he uses for Pebbles. He glued the bowlto something that keeps her from tipping it over, but she can stillmove it around if she wants.
I think he used a ceramic tile....I'll see if I can find a pic.

~Jim

I use heavy ceramic bowls that were made forsmall dogs. They're too heavy to move or tip, and sincethey're not attached to anything they're easy to clean.

JimD wrote:
Pet_Bunny has a great idea that he uses for Pebbles.
I have several ceramic bowls that I getfrom the dollar store. I use them forPebbles food and water.Each dayI justswitch them out so therewill be a new and clean bowl.For the water bowl, I set it upon a paving stone, soit keepsPebbles from stepping into the water.

For the ceramic tiles, I gluedtwo of themto Pebblesstool to give it weight so it can't be movedaround, and in the summer,it is cool for Pebbles to sit on. Therest of the tiles I just placed on thecage floor.

Rainbows! :D

Pet_Bunny...I wish my buns could have anopen-topped cage like Pebbles...but the kitties would take FULLadvantage, and never leave them alone! Lol...we had to putwire mesh around the cages the other day because they won't stopputting their paws in the cages! Lol...

Pet_Bunny wrote:
For the water bowl, Iset it up on a paving stone,soit keeps Pebbles from stepping intothe water.

Rainbows! :D

Thanks!! I couldn't find the pic I was looking for, but I sure had agood time anyway. Pics of Pebbles are great!!!! I especially love theone where she kicking up the snow when she running by thehouse.....what fun she must have!!!!

Brindle insists on putting her front paws in her bowl when she sayshello to you. Regauardless of where she "left" her food bowl she runsover to it. I think she just checking to make sure there's food in it;).

~Jim

Know whatcha mean...it's the main reason wedecided to switch to a water bottle. Not only did Maisieconsistantly dump it during the night (and then have a night withoutany water), but she also would step in it (also tipping it), and shewould get TONS of bedding and hay and such (like poop) in it.I just decided one day that she wasn't getting enough water, and shekept dumping it...so changed over. Works much better this wayfor Maisie.

Do you think it differs per bunny?

JimD wrote:
Brindle insists on putting her front paws in her bowl when she sayshello to you. Regauardless of where she "left" her food bowl she runsover to it. I think she just checking to make sure there's food in it;).

~Jim

maherwoman wrote:
...we decided to switch to a water bottle.
Do you think it differs per bunny?

I would imagine so.
My bunnies really didn't have a choice. They get a water bottle from the getgo.

If they had bowls, I'd be changing the drop pans a lot more often. ....and washing waterbowls all the time, too.

My buns definately prefer bowls, but it's hardif she's making that big of a mess. Mocha has always refusedto drink out of a bottle, so make sure Maisie is actually drinking andgetting enough. The other three will use a bottle if theyhave to.

Hey, my husband and I had a thought...

Something we used to do with the kitties' waterbowl (when Sunnyinsisted on constantly dumping it) is we took industrial grade velcroand attached one side to the floor, and the other to the underside ofthe bowl. That way we could get the waterbowl to refill it,but it was strong enough to keep them from being able to dump itover. :)

Back