Water Bottle or Water Dish?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Water Dish or Water Bottle?

• Water Dish

• Water Bowl

Results are only viewable after voting.
i use water botttles. i think they are more sanitary (my opinion)cuz loose hay or fur, or anything could go in the water ;where water bottels keeps the water enclosed

also i tried a bowl cuz i think it would be so cute watching him drink but he dug and clawed at it and flipped it all over!brat!!!!

That is true, hay and hair get into the water. I change it in the morning and the evening to keep it clean. Luckily nobun has used it to potty as far as I know. I get dishes made for dogs, so even Sophie can't tip them. (12 inch diameter thick ceramic)

I feel like since I started using a bowl, he has been drinking a lot more. I haven't had trouble with it, and it's too big and heavy for him to flip it over.

I must be very lucky. Peppy has had a bowl since I rescued him, he came with a bottle but it leaked horribly.
He drinks a lot, and only once in a while I'll find a food pellet dissolved in it, apart from that it stays very clean over night.

I use water bowls because I have had personal experience with water bottles becoming stuck and leaving an animal with no water. Luckily it didn't kill anyone as I caught it in time, but I still felt horrible! I have had a stray piece of hay or a pellet end up in the bowl but that's easy enough to clean out when I rinse the bowls out and refill every morning.

I give ceramic water dishes for mine. Sounds like that is what the majority of people use, which really surprised me actually. I think it makes more sense to have a water bottle (that doesn't leak!) when they travel, but I tried to teach them to drink from one and they won't. Literally won't.

Pippy likes to put her front feet in it when she drinks, so I change it several times a day. I think she would jump right in if she could :D

I use bowls for all my rabbits. I find my rabbits drink well from them and they are easy to clean. I also can't stand the sound a bottle makes when they drink.
A few of my rabbits came from breeders who used water bottles or an automatic watering system and they had no trouble switching to bowls.

See, that's why I switched from a bottle. Teddy lives in my room and the noise was just too much while I was sleeping. There's no problem now.

Water bottles here. Agnes has two.

It took 4 different ones ( returning to the store) to get a good brand that doesn't leak. I also prefer ones that attach to the outside of the cage so the bun can't get to it, knock it off, chew etc.

I, for one, would never use a water dish. Too dirty, too much of a chance to get knocked over, used as a bathroom etc. Buns are just too unpredictable for a bowl. Just my opinion :)

I got the corner crock at Petco, it's a little on the small side, but so is Teddy, so I never need to fill it up more than twice a day, usually only once. It is probably one of the best purchases I have ever made.

agnesthelion wrote:
Water bottles here.

I, for one, would never use a water dish. Too dirty, too much of a chance to get knocked over, used as a bathroom etc. Buns are just too unpredictable for a bowl. Just my opinion :)
I use bottles for the same reason. I tried to use bowls but I find that they are too much work. Bowls are great if you are a breeder who has a dirt or concreat floors in their barn. I think that the bottles are more sanitary. I rarely have a bottle that leaks. The feed store in Spring TX sells really great bottles for cheep.

We use a bowl and Twigs leaves it alone. We did have a bottle and he would stand there and drink for like 5 minutes straight. Then one day I was watching and as he was "hitting the bottle" (that's what we called it). It was more biting and trying to get water to drink then drinking. I gave him a bowl and he never looked back.

Latest posts

Back