Watch out for dogs! 2 rabbits injured could of been worse!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showrabbits

Reaction score
Well today we had a near disaster.

It started about two weeks ago. Like i mentioned before our rabbitslive out in our barn wich is over a 100 years old but remolded, sided,and made into a garage. It has a huge double stall garge door wich weopen when we are home to let the rabbits see out and injoy theexcitment of the outdoors, and fresh air and natural light. WELL thatone that day two weeks ago I came home to find the bottom of the sidedoor ripped off. Okay well my first thought is wich rabbit did this? Myrabbits get turns running around the barn when I am out there, and myretired does have run of the barn the rest of the time. They areFlemish Giants but didnt think that they were that strong. I was kindof scared to go into the barn. LOL. I did though and found AJ and Mousetwo of our retired does hidding upstairs. Mouse knows how to go up anddown stairs but AJ didnt and Mouse never has before in the barn. Theyseemed overly happy to see me. I took them back down stairs and checkedaround. I suspected that AJ is the one that distoyed the door. Sheloves to play outside, but never before has she distroyed something toescape the barn. Usauly it is just racing out the door when I open thedoor. Well I started to suspect that something wasnt quite right acouple of hours later because everyone was hiped up and stomping theirfeet. The other major tip was that the barn door was open and AJ andMouse was by my feet the whole time when usauly they go out and munchon grass. Well I started to check over everyone and found that onerabbit hurt its tail wich was minor, but ruins his promising showcareer but I will find him a good pet home. Then I checked over myyoungest litter since IF something was in the barn it would probably goafter the easiest prey wich was not the 20 pound rabbits who wouldfight back. Well the litter happend to be AJs last litter wich was bornin June. What was in the barn had managed to also try to grab one ofthese rabbits as well. The cages all have 1 by 2 wire on the sides ofthe cages. This rabbit had gotten a bad cut on his hind quarter. It wasbad but not life threatening and is healing nicely but also ended hershow career, I am also now looking for a pet home for her.

WELL today the mistery of what did this was solved. I came home to findthree dogs that was very large. They looked like mixes. They were inthe barn. One was smelling around the floor, and the other two weredigging and bitting at the cages. The rabbits were terrified and backat the back of the cages. My brother had left the garage door open andleft. Something that he knows not to do but should of been fine. Iwasnt sure what to do. The dogs were obvisily strays by theircondition, and I was too afraid to get out of the car. So I pulled upto the barn at about 30 miles and hour, trying to scare the dogs with aspeeding car heading for them, honking my horn and rolled down the carwindow and threw every school tex book I had at them wich worked. Ournaibor works for the county and apperantly had major problems with thedogs wich had already ment that next time that the dogs came out of thewoods agian the naibor apperantly had to take care of them. I guessthat they were causing problems with killing peoples dogs, andthreatening their kids. So we wont run into problems with these dogsagain after tonight wich is sad that the dogswereput downbut I am kind of glad since the dogsare getting tested for any kind of diseases, and I wasnt put in theposition of having to decide whether or not to have to the dogs putdown, there was no way to fight having them put down. We could of dogproofed the barn butit still wouldnt betotatly safealso so I am kind ofglad aboutthat. Thistime I guess that the rabbits reconized these dogs and stayed againstthe back of their cages where the dogs couldnt get them. I lost threecage doors though, and the rest of the doors can be flatened back outand doesnt need to be replacedso the dogs only caused meabout 30 dallors worth of damage this time. I am realy sad that thishad to happen though. It could of been so much worse. The dogs could ofkilled everything or hurt alot more rabbits alot worse. The rabbitsthat were injured are doing great, and the rest of the rabbits arealready back to their cherry selfs thank goodness.

I thought that I would post this because I knew that alot of peoplehave rabbits that are outside. These dogs were able to bend up thecages pretty bad and were very close to getting the rabbits, so makesure that those hutches are sturdy and your rabbits are safe.

We have a 10 month old puppy and he isn't allowedeven on the same floor as Henry and Max. Maybe when we builda shed for them outside, he'll see them through the mesh but that's asfar as he'll get near them.

My first rabbit, Rosie, had no problems with my last dogthough. The dogjust looked at her indifferently,then went back to sleep:D. My aunt's boxer was fine with heras well. He used to watch her for hours, and ran round thehutch to find where she'd went when she went into the covered bit ofher hutch! LOL

I think those wild dogs were an isolated incident, at least I hope itwas, it's foxes we have to worry about round here, but I'm glad yourbuns are okay! It must have been horrific for you!Are they all in recovery now? How many have you gotaltogether?

Ang xx

What an awful experience. Thank goodness none ofthe rabbits were badly hurt, but they must have been really scared.It's sad that the dogs had to be put down, but if they were used toattacking things, then they may have also gone for children, so perhapsit ended up for the best. Still, if people took care of their dogs,then this wouldn't have happened. Pleased all your buns areOK - Jan

I'm sosorry to hear this happened to your bunnies. I hope they recoverquickly and you find great homes for them.

The only problem I reallyhad with dogs were I live happened a few months before I got my firstbun. The kids were playing in the back yard. I heard them startscreaming, so I looked out the patio door. My nearest neighbor's dog(pit bull) had apparently broken his chain and was barking and chargingat the kids. I made the kids get in the house as quickly as they couldand called the law. They picked the dog up and ended up putting the dogdown. He treid to attack the officer,so it was mandatory. Welater found out that the neighbor was raising the dogstofight. Hewas fined, and the Humane Society took the rest ofthe dogs. In total it was 8 dogs, all pit bulls.

I'm glad they took care ofthe dogs threatening your bunnies. So, sorry that it happened.

Lanna

In Ontario Canada, they are passing a law nowforbidding pit bulls, since there were lots of attacks on humans.People won't be allowed to bring pitbulls here or sell them here.

That's awful! It's not the breed'sfault, it's the owners! Acouple of my friends havestaffordshire bull terriers and they're not vicious in the slightest...the complete opposite! With the right owners, and alot oftraining, any dog can become a loving companion and not the viciouschild biting monsters that the journalists want us to believe.

NB. This isn't a rant at you Anna, sorry, I just get so mad whenauthorities and TV/Newspapers do these things, what right have they gotto tell people what dog they can and can't have?! We'd all beowning cute little lap dogs with their teeth and nails pulled out ifthey had their way!:X

Oi vei! Banning pit bulls has got to be one ofthe stupidest ideas I've heard. Yeah, no offense Anna, but Ontario hasit all wrong! :X

Elf Mommy-

That was an incredibly powerful video. Stunning, isn't it? :X:(

Oh boy..that made me cry! It also makes me anger!How can someone treat their animals that way? Mine are part of myfamily. I can't even think straight I'm so upset.

Poor Mr. Peabody hasn't gotten as much free time lately because we justgot a new puppy. A long-haired daschund, who Brooke's namedSadie. I'm hoping she'll learn from watching our other dog.Right now when his is out she stands at the gate and barks her littlehead off. We'll be taking baby steps sohopefullyPeabody can roam freely again. In the meantime, Mr. Peabody is scheduled to make a class visit to Brooke'spreschool class soon. He loves kids so I'm sure he'll behappy with me again soon.

Shannon

Last summer my oldest son William was attacked bya pit bill mix while going to get our own dog Blue.I agree its really not the breed its the people who dont care for them.I have met some nice ones. My son was bit on the hand onlyand needed stitches. They caught the dog two weeks later andas far as i know i think he was put down cause its not the first timehe has bit someone. When they brought him for my son to sayif it was him or not. I was shocked. The dog didnt look all that bigand was really cute. I even felt a little sorry for it, causeits not the dogs fault.

I miss having dogs. I live in a apartment complex and i wasthinking of putting up a sign i would walk dogs free of charge while mysons were in school but we arent allowed to post signs. I really dontwant my own dog anymore after having to give mine up but wantvisitation rights to someone elses. Plus i have trained mydog so i could help with that.

Cristy

I'm in tears after watching that film... I can'tbelieve people can be so cruel to animals. I just can'tunderstand it. :X It makes me so mad, I just wantto do the same to them as they have to those dogs!

Maybe you could try putting an ad in the local paper mygirl... I seepeople who offer to walk dogs in ours so it might be worth ago. Or maybe a notice in your local shop.

Delphinum wrote:
That's awful! It's not the breed's fault, it's the owners! Acouple of my friends have staffordshire bull terriers and they're notvicious in the slightest... the complete opposite! With the rightowners, and alot of training, any dog can become a loving companion andnot the vicious child biting monsters that the journalists want us tobelieve.

NB. This isn't a rant at you Anna, sorry, I just get so mad whenauthorities and TV/Newspapers do these things, what right have they gotto tell people what dog they can and can't have?! We'd all be owningcute little lap dogs with their teeth and nails pulled out if they hadtheir way!:X

Don't worry, I don't take this personal. Its just the law they arepassing. I guess there were too many attacks on people here and thegovernment doesnot think that most people are responsible enough tohave pit bulls. Personally, I don't have an opinion about this.

I was attacked by a dog when I was about 8 yearsold. Had half my face ripped off. Luckily I didnthave much scarring. I have two noticable scars, and a few youcant see unless you really look. I was not attackedby a pitbull. I was attacked by a cocker spaniel.Not even a year old. I was sitting watching TV at a friendshouse, and the dog just turned on me. If my friend hadntstuck her arm in the dog's mouse, I probably would have lost myeye.

I am terrified of cocker spaniels. I wont let ANY dog near my face be they huge or tiny.

Big dogs dont bother me, but if I see a cocker... I get all sweaty.

My fiance's parents have a horse that was supposed to be apitbull. he is the sweetest, but dumbest, dog I have everknown.

It is all in how you raise the dog I guess, and genetics.Responsible breeders only sell to responsibleowners. Many pitbulls are puppy milled and sold to people whowant to fight them. But there are other large breeds treatedthe same way. Those people who maltreat or train thier dogsto fight should be unable to own any pets.

Bah humbug...

"My fiance's parents have a horse that was supposed to be a pitbull. he is the sweetest, but dumbest, dog I have ever known. "

the horse was a pitbull?:D

Yieks I am scared to even watch the video. I dontthink I will. I clicked on the link twice but I xed out of it bothtimes. JUST CANT DO IT. ;)LOL.

Hey to the person who wants to spend time with dogs. Check out thelocal animal shelter. I volunteered at ours throughout highschool. Dontworry with having to see things that might upset you they are prettygood about hidding those facts from you if it bothers you. Thankgoodness. It was a blast to have all these dogs to come in that werescared and alone and spend time with them, cheer them up, let them havesome fun, free time one on one, and then tell the people thinking aboutadopting a dog about the dog. It realy is a big help. The dogs are soohappy to see you, and are so thankfull. At first I thought it was hardto leave the dogs, but the first time you see the dog go to its newhome you get right over that. The dogs realy need to be trained most ofthe time. Our animal shelter has somebody who organizes puppy trainingclasses. The volunteers sign up with a dog that they like that needs tobe trained. Then you go to the shelter the time of the class and youtrain the dog with other volunteers who are training a dog as well. Itis a great program, and gets dogs adopted that may not have a chancesince they dont know those simple commands like no, sit, ect. You mayrealy like it.

I saw one of the dogs today again as I was driving to school. I gotchills. I didnt see any of its pack members though. I am surethatthenaibor took care of them at least.It wasnt one of the two that was ripping into the cages itwas the one that was smelling around under the cages so I dont have asmuch fear of this dog as I did the other two. It looks like across of some sort. It is red and has a mane like a lion. I think thatit has chow in him or her because her tong was purple when I sawhim/her in the barn, and the fur and build looked very similar to achow.

I dont think that any of these dogs were pit bulls. Just mixed dogsthat must of been dropped off out here at some point by somebody notcarring about them any more. Sad but it happends alot with cats anddogs out on this road. We do our best to become friends with them andget them to a rescue before they go wild, orgethurtbut I guess that these dogs must off slipped between our sights orsomething.

Back