Washing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shouldn't bathe them. They tend to care forthemselves. There fur takes long in drying, they can also go into shockfrom bathing.

Why are you bathing your bunny?

I am not bathing her, but I had once about ayear ago. Just with the generic shampoo that you can buy forrabbits. She didn't go into shock, but it did take a VERYlong time for her to dry.

Why did you give the bath?

Hehe. I wonder how often that happens.

Well as long as you keep her area clean, and litter pan cleanyou shouldbe fine.

I tend to agree, batheing a rabbit shouldn't bedone unless absolutely necessary. For a lot of rabbits it could meanextreme stress, physical harm from struggling, and/or shock, with riskof death.

That said, I do bath my rabbit about once a week or so...but in hiscase he is disabled and cannot care for himself, and his fur does tendto get messy and his skin irritated from lying down all the time. Ifind that batheing him helps to relieve his skin as well, and he doesenjoy the massage he gets from towel-drying him afterward. I don'tbathe his entire body; just the back end. It's a long process, asRaph's fur is very dense and takes forever for him to dry. So I use thehair dryer on low setting, held far away from his back end (with myhand on the areas I am drying so I know it's not too warm for him).

Here is a method for dry-batheing a rabbit, which can be much lessstressful for a rabbit (and their human!) if a bath is warranted (Ididn't write this; it's from the House Rabbit Society of Miami):

Dry Bath Procedure

1. Purchase a container of Baby Cornstarch Powder (DO NOT use BabyPowder or any sort of powder that contains talc, as talc is arespiratory irritant and may even be carcinogenic!) from the grocerystore baby section. You can use either unscented or scented cornstarchpowder. DO NOT use commercial flea powders or other pesticides on yourbunny. Use only baby-safe cornstarch powder for best, safest results.

2. Place bunny is a comfortable position so that the soiled parts areeasily accessible. This may involve placing him in your lap on abunched towel so that he feels secure, or simply laying him on thefloor in a comfortable position, if he's calm and won't try to run off.

3. Liberally apply the cornstarch to the soiled areas, and gently workthe powder down into the fur, around messy poops, and down to the skin.

4. Work the powder around any stubborn clumps of debris gently. As the cornstarch coats the mess, it will slide away easily.

5. Once the largest bits of mess have been removed, use a soft-tipped brush to gently loosen any remaining dirt and debris.

6. Pat the powdered areas well to remove loose powder.

And, if a wet bath cannot be avoided, here is a procedure for that (taken from same source as above):

Wet Bath Procedure

1. Purchase hypoallergenic, non-medicated pet shampoo from yourveterinarian or pet supply store. Hy-Lyte is a good choice, but anysimilar product will work as well. DO NOT USE ANY TYPE OF HUMAN SHAMPOOON YOUR RABBIT. Rabbit skin is far more delicate and sensitive thanhuman skin--especially the scalp. Even baby shampoo is far too harsh,and can make the problem worse, not better.

2. Fill a bathroom sink to about 2.5" depth with lukewarm water.

3. Mix in about a tablespoon of shampoo, and mix well.

4. Being firm and gentle so that the bunny cannot jump and injurehimself, lower his rear end into the lukewarm shampoo/water, and gentlylave the solution onto the soiled areas until they are clean. If thebunny is very messy, you may have to change the water and dothis twice.

5. Rinse with lukewarm, clear running water very thorougly, leaving NO shampoo residue.

6. Towel dry carefully, being sure not to rub to hard against irritated skin.

7. Blow dry on low, keeping your hand close to bunny's skin sothat you can tell if the air flow is too hot. The last thing you wantto do is burn already inflamed skin!

8. When bunny is fluffy-dry, carefully clip away the fur on theareas where the skin is irritated. If you can't see the skin, or aredoubtful where skin ends and fur begins, then *do not clip!* Rabbitskin is *very* thin and stretchy, and even a small wound can expand toalarming proportions!

9. Apply a soothing balm, such as Calendula (from the Health FoodStore) or triple antibiotic ointment (e.g., Neosporin, but NOTNeosporin Plus, which contains lidocaine and is not recommended).

10. Repeat as necessary, but do not continue if rabbit seems undulystressed by the experience. Whenever you handle a bunny, it's importantto be firm, gentle and ready to release the bunny at ground level ifshe starts to struggle violently. As you probably know, one good kickcan dislocate or even fracture the spine. Always keep the bunny'ssafety *first* in mind if you attempt a project like this.

And remember, the "butt bath" is nothing more than treating a symptomof a greater disorder. The most important thing to do is to discoverwhy your bunny hasurinaryhttp://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.htmlincontinence or runny stool problems, and get to the rootof the ultimate cause for a complete cure.

:D

Do we have that some where on here?

I will search later. Right now I am so busy.

I've washed Katrina a few times. She tends torun through her pee quiteoften (seeing as she refuses to useher litter box). I just have my mom hold her with her back legs andbutt in the sink and I wash the areas that are yellow. Other than thatshe takes care of herself. I've never had a single problem with Katrinaand baths. If you need to bathe your bunny try it the way I do- byhaving another person hold the bunny. You have free hands to pet themas well as bathe so you can calm them down. Just always watch yourbunny. If it freaks out insanely when it gets near water don't give ita bath and make sure you are doing it because the rabbit needs one. Iwaited for a long time to decide to give Katrina a real bath becauseeveryone on here were talking about rabbits going into shock. However,I found that she was very discoloured on her feet and under her tailand I didn't want her to be and was worried that she may beuncomfortable (hopefully everyone knows how badly pee can burn). So Iwanted to help her out and she took to the bath fine. She doesn't loveit but she doesn't freak out either.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back