Washing my Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimjenny16

Reaction score
My rabbit usually lies in her litterbox and her behind and her feet are getting dirty.
I'm wondering if there is a way to clean those parts without hurting her in anyway?

EDIT; i reread your post, I though you were talking about a messy bottom, like poop on the bottom. You can use cornstarch on white rabbits, and lemon juice works great, you can also use a mix of water and white vinegar. I've heard of people using peroxide as well

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you have in your litterbox, but you could try topping it with hay. I use wood pellets topped with hay. The hay somehow manages to allow the urine & poo to seep down below the hay. This way, even if they lie on it, they aren't actually laying on their own waste.

(I also put fresh hay on top at least twice a day)

For the occasional bath, I've used Johnsons & Johnsons baby shampoo since it's gentle. Is this correct?

For the occasional bath, I've used Johnsons & Johnsons baby shampoo since it's gentle. Is this correct?

Actually no shampoo at all should be used. Any shampoo or soap dries the skin too much and deprives the skin of its essential oils. Water alone can even do that.

I was trying to find the medical article on this that I had read, but a quick search didn't find it. I'll look some more...

But really, there should be no 'occasional bath' for a rabbit. There should be no need. If it happens to get messy, bunny can self-clean. Otherwise, if necessary, just wiping with a damp cloth should be the most that's needed.

Ahh... I found it here:

Routine Bathing:

This is totally unnecessary and potentially very harmful to rabbits.
Rabbits do not require routine bathing and in fact frequent washing, either with or without shampoo, strips the rabbit's fur of its natural oils, which helps to keep the rabbit's coat in good condition. Bathing is also extremely stressful on rabbits and has many potential and serious dangers.
Rabbits are clean animals and will groom and wash themselves. Companion rabbits will wash and groom each other too.
You will need to groom your rabbit frequently especially during a moult to remove all the hair they shed, but even during a moult, you do not need to bathe your rabbit.

Ahh... I found it here:

Routine Bathing:

This is totally unnecessary and potentially very harmful to rabbits.
Rabbits do not require routine bathing and in fact frequent washing, either with or without shampoo, strips the rabbit's fur of its natural oils, which helps to keep the rabbit's coat in good condition. Bathing is also extremely stressful on rabbits and has many potential and serious dangers.
Rabbits are clean animals and will groom and wash themselves. Companion rabbits will wash and groom each other too.
You will need to groom your rabbit frequently especially during a moult to remove all the hair they shed, but even during a moult, you do not need to bathe your rabbit.

:yeahthat:

Latest posts

Back