Washing cage liners?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody - just have a quick husbandry question.

What's the best method to wash any fleece like liners in the cage? I have one fleece like one that is waterproof, and another very large waterproof pad underneath, which is not fleece. It's made for dogs - but it's the perfect size for under Bucky's x-pen (I think that's what the standing play pens are called?).

I'm assuming I can put them in the wash? They're wash safe - I'm just worried about the pee, poops, and the safety of the laundry detergent. Anyone have any experience they can add in here?

Thanks all! :)

Depends on how the fleece liner is made. If it is just a fleece fabric "blanket" it can be washed as normal. If it's a layered liner that has one layer of fleece then an absorbent fabric in the middle and then a waterproof layer on the bottom (all 3 sewn together to make a "liner") then washing depends on instructions that came with it (if it was purchased). That middle absorbent fabric may determine washing instructions. If it isn't quilted, then the middle layer may bunch in the washing machine.

Not sure what your waterproof pad is made of. PUL fabric can be washed but tends to shrink. Fleece is supposed to wick moisture if there is an absorbent layer below it (either laying below it or sewn as described above). The wicking feature allows the top of the fabric to stay dry even if it gets peed upon. To maintain that wicking capability, do not use any dryer sheets with the fleece. That means also to not use any detergent that has fabric softener in it or it will block the wicking capability of the fleece.

Best to avoid strong scents in any detergent. Go with a more natural, mild detergent or one made for sensitive skin.

The poos should just shake off of any fabric you put down. Hopefully there will be no pee at all if the rabbit is litter trained. Do you have a litter box as well?

When I had to wash bunny bedding, I first shook it out and then brushed with a metal slicker brush to get as much fur off as possible. Then for washing, I washed in a front loader in hot water, with about a cup of vinegar, 1/2-1 cup of hydrogen peroxide, and dye/fragrance free laundry detergent. If you have to deal with urine on the liners, this combination seemed to get the urine smell out the best for me.

@Blue eyes I do have two litter boxes, but he is in-tact (10-year old rescue), so he does tend to go where he pleases. Usually he does use his litter box, but recently he’s been choosing some additional corners as well.

I’ll pick up some more bunny friendly laundry detergent, I did get unscented but the sensitive skin one is a great idea! Thank you!

@JBun I’m a huge fan of using vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean - never thought about using it in the wash though! That’s a fantastic idea, thank you!

Latest posts

Back