WARNING: GRAPHIC PHOTO!!! Gizmo needs some support.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bon

Reaction score
As many of you know gizmos been through a lot recently, however her appetite has got me concerned, she is very low at the moment and I personally feel she is eating enough to keep herself going and nothing more, which consideirng her weight loss I would like her to be eating more.

Is there a set of foods or something I can give to her to give her a boost? Ill be syringe feeding her tomrow to make sure she is eating at least what she should be having daily form pellets so if she supto eating something to give her a strength boost that would be great.

Cheers

Bon

It would really help if you could share her current weight and maybe a picture. Also share what she is eating (if you measure her pellets).

Then we could make some good recommendations based on what she is already getting.

shes currently 4kg / 8lbs, she hasnt eveer had a set ammount of pellets rather she helps herself to what she wants.

Unfortunately a pcture doesnt show much to those who never saw her before hand i think, but in this pic you can see she is obviously thin.

DSCF2979.jpg

Before starting treatment around a month and a half ago she was 6kg/12lbs. As much as I hate the thought, i don't know how much longer she may be with us, she has deteriated so fast the last 2 days and although i believe the abscess has been cured (0 signs of returning) i think the whole experience of 2 surgeries in such a small time along with everything else has finally caught up to her.

hesitate to advise on this but some people use nutrical which is an appetite stimulant for dog and cats
you just can't introduce anything quickly.

you also could use a blender for veggies and give them by syringe.

do you have critical care...I apologize if you already told us

I pickup critical care at my Vets office. Its full of vitamins and nutriotion and is gruel that you water down and syringe feed it. Not sure if you can get it at Petfood stores but you might. Good luck and update on Gizmo.

I AM EDITING THIS POST BECAUSE I WANT TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS.

WHEN I SHARE ABOUT CHEERIOS - I AM SHARING A 'BREEDER'S' METHOD OF PUTTING ON SOME EXTRA WEIGHT IF AN ANIMAL HAS BEEN ILL. I'M NOT SAYING IT IS THE FIRST METHOD OF CHOICE NOR AM I SAYING THAT IF YOUR RABBIT HAS LOST SOME WEIGHT THIS SHOULD BE THE FIRST THING YOU DO.

AS A BREEDER, I ONLY USE CHEERIOS TO PUT ON WEIGHT IF THE RABBIT IS ALREADY GETTING QUALITY PELLETS (NOT THE STUFF WITH COLORED JUNK IN THEM), ALONG WITH A BIT OF OATMEAL, HAY, AND POSSIBLY NUTRICAL AND CRITICAL CARE. I USE CHEERIOS FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY...NOT FOR THE REST OF THE RABBIT'S LIFE (EXCEPT FOR NEW HOPE WHO HAD ONGOING ISSUES WITH WEIGHT DUE TO OTHER THINGS).

IF YOUR RABBIT IS LOSING WEIGHT THE ABSOLUTELY BEST THING TO DO IS TO SEE A VET FIRST AND TO MAKE SURE YOUR RABBIT IS EATING QUALITY PELLETS, HAY, ETC.

I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE FOLKS UNDERSTAND THAT BEFORE THEY READ ABOUT MY EXPERIENCES!!!

I AM NOT A VET - I USED TO BE A BREEDER.

I edited the title to warn folks about the picture - I hope you don't mind. But I felt that we should give folks warning.

I would definitely give her Nutrical if you can get it. I think it also stimulates the appetite for them to want to eat.

I'm going to share something now which many folks are going to disagree with. I know a lot of breeders who do this a lot - not because it is "medically sound" but because it works. I did it with New Hope every time he'd drop his weight and it would help him get his weight back up.

That is....cheerios. I got him to eat his pellets - I'm not saying that you shouldn't use them. But I added cheerios to his diet whenever his weight started dropping. And I'm not talking 1 or 2 cheerios. He actually had as much as he could/would eat.

Would I recommend this for a normal healthy rabbit? No. But sometimes you do what is called a "hail Mary" treatment....you know it isn't the best thing - but you pray it works because nothing else seems to be working.

I've also used alfalfa hay (for limited periods) to get weight on - I've added uncooked oatmeal to their feed (but you have to watch for poopy butts with that).

However, I've used the cheerio trick with a number of rabbits....and its always helped them put weight back on and then I wean them back off the cheerios as they start getting healthier.

I want to share a few precautions here though before the infirmary mods want to strangle me:
  • I'm not recommending this to people who have healthy rabbits (although mine do get cheerios frequently mixed into their food so they have maybe one or two for a treat).
  • I'm not recommending this for folks who have rabbits who have a history of GI issues. I think of Naturestee's buns who have had GI issues....or Jenk's buns. I would not recommend it in cases like this.
  • I'm not recommending that you free-feed cheerios for the rest of her life.
I would definitely watch her poops for excess cecotropes.

But in New Hope's case - I believe we bought him several additional months of his life by doing this. He ate so many cheerios sometimes that his nickname was "cheerio".

I've also used this with other rabbits who might've dropped weight - and found it successful.

I'm sure the infirmary mods will have better "medical" advice for you - I'm just sharing a breeder's trick....ok?

Also - you might want to speak to your vet (if you haven't already) about what you could do.

Oh - and before I forget - I would think you could give some canned pumpkin since it has fiber and fluids sorta...I mean - it seems like that would add some extra calories.

Peg

P.S. I just remembered Saphira - some of you may remember we "lost" her in Feb. when she disappeared and was hiding for like 10 days. When we found her - she had lost about 1/3 of her weight. For the first couple of weeks to get her system moving again - we went with just her pellets and her hay. Once she was more stable - I added the cheerios and she put her weight back on in about a month or so. I forget how long it took - but once she was a good weight - I weaned her back off them so she only gets them when the others do.... She's kept her weight on and been in EXCELLENT health since then.

That space she has... between her 'chin' and her lionhead mane, is that because of weight loss. I sure hope not because babii has that too...

It's like a big gap.

:?

Latest posts

Back